• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting iodized salt did I ruined my ferment?

Hi, I decided to try a ferment with orange habanero, I use a 6% salt brine but I made the mistake of using the salt I have on hand, iodized table salt. Did I ruined my ferment? Did their any chance the LB can live? I try to have a wild ferment.

hot stuff said:
No, it will be fine.
Ok great! Thanks to reassure me.

I put 2kg of shred orange habanero in a 4 litter pail with around 2 litter water and 300g of salt. I put one table spoon of yogourt whey and I let it open for a day. Tomorrow I will put the lid loosely and let it like this for a couple mount. Did I'm doing right, read a lot on the forum but I'm still a little confuse.
I will had some cabbage leaves on top too.

I was always told to use kosher salt, let us know how it comes out.  Also, did you mix some salt in with the peppers or only in the brine like it sounds?  My crock is large enough that I only salt the peppers and use very little brine just to cover the weights.  Sounds complicated but is really very easy, good luck!

excellent! I too fudged up an early ferment with iodized salt and the only issue that came of it was a bit of discoloring - more brownish than red after the processing.  Tasted great and no other issues.  would love to see the finished product, so be sure to update this thread!

This is how it look like today. Its a small part of my batch, I put the rest on a large pail. No air lock or nothing fancy, its just to make a try, I don't plan to use it, I just have to try and make mistake because just read is not enough for me I'm more practical than theoretical. But now Im so surprise how its easy that I will look for good equipment do do big batch. Anybody have suggestion for something around 10 gallons batch?
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2624]

Back