• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need a mask?

Do you need a mask while de-seeding or grinding peppers?

HELL YES!

But which masks are good enough?
Which masks are useless?
Which masks can you wear and not scare the neighbors?

I use one when I am grinding peppers.  That is, when I remember to wear it.  I use a charcoal canister painting mask used for when you are spraying paint.  I use this kind because that is what I have in my shop...

It works well except for the occasional air leak I might get if the mask is not adjusted right.  Or if the operator thinks "it's only a couple peppers, I don't need a mask".

-Alden

I use a military style gas mask when I process any pepper hotter than a Habanero. If I don't wear the mask I end up coughing for hours.

I'd never considered. Not a bad idea. I had a bad experience with some bhut jolokias a couple of weeks ago but the mask wouldn't have helped. ...face, eyes... It was rough.

I only do small batches so haven't used a mask yet. Gloves....yes. Try not to drink too much beer during processing, you either run out of gloves or forget you weren't wearing them when it's too late :onfire:

Only thing i use is a bandanna around my face "train robber style."
SuperStock_255-18685B.jpg

I will note this is not a proper or safe way,you still will get burned,lol.

Comes with the territory.

queequeg152 said:
since the powder is also a lachrymator you will need a full face respirator...

should only need particulate filters tho. no fancy cartriges.

http://www.amazon.com/7163-3M-Full-Respirator-Large/dp/B000P18N4Y

Gl with that. they are probably the worst most inconvenient uncomfortable things to wear, at least when you are laboring. 

yea i had to look up to spell lachrymator.
Yeah, Lachrymator.....not to be confused with a Termator or Pertator :confused:

sicman said:
Only thing i use is a bandanna around my face "train robber style."
SuperStock_255-18685B.jpg

I will note this is not a proper or safe way,you still will get burned,lol.

Comes with the territory.

Please note that his avatar picture is an actual picture of him.

I never used one till this year.  I started without it, then went on to using it.  I use a 3M mask with cartridges and pre-filters, as this is what I have on hand at home.  Works well. 

Back