• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Weird Sunken areas on my Tomatoes

What causes these weird sunken areas on the SIDE not bottom of my tomatoes? Arrows point to blossom end.

tomato_1.jpg
tomato_2.jpg

Edit: Also some of the stems are splitting...

tomato_3.jpg
tomato_4.jpg

Thanks.

Interesting...Are there any evidence of bugs around? Try sacrificing one of the weird tomatoes and cut into it to see if there are any worms inside. I hope that it doesn't affect your whole crop.

RichardK said:
What causes these weird sunken areas on the SIDE not bottom of my tomatoes? Arrows point to blossom end. Also some of the stems are splitting...

It looks like Catfacing to me. This can be caused by several things and is not *always* on the blossom end of the fruit.

If the plant was in temperatures below 50 degrees F prior to flowering or the nitrogen was too high after fruit set are two of the most common reasons.

I would suggest tossing the affected fruit and watching the split branching very closely. There are tomato viruses that mimic this problem as well. If the sunken areas start getting slimy or open sores, cut them from the plant and watch the entire plant closely until you can determine if the entire plant is affected. If it is, get it out of your garden before it affects all your other plants. It may be an isolated problem, so don't over-react to it until it shows if it goes further than a few fruit.

Good luck to you!

It's indoors and zero bugs, I just repotted it from a container in which it was rootbound.

It's been humid as hell here for weeks, and the temperatures in the high 80s.

I got this particular plant "Big Boy" hybrid from Wal-mart a few months ago.

It's been doing fine up untill now.

Also, the fruit are very solid and the dark spots are not mushy or anything like that. Since this is the only one growing indoors, I'll leave it be and see what happens.

I just wish there was some nut I could give it to make it go away :)

Back