• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red or Yellow Datil? Decisions, decisions

Suggestions needed/recommended for datil peppers.. have the chance to order red or yellow powder and seeds from judy at pepperlover.com..   anyone have a recommendation?

I think Yellow Datils are one of the most underrated peppers.  They are amazing.   I gave my wife's Grandpa a Datil plant to grow in April.  This is what it looked like in the middle of October.  That thing was a monster.  

thanks jamison.. went with some red powder .. judy said it is more flavorful .. never have tried those and have heard good things about them

withywindle72 said:
Suggestions needed/recommended for datil peppers.. have the chance to order red or yellow powder and seeds from judy at pepperlover.com..   anyone have a recommendation?

I dont see the Yellow Datil on Judy's site?  I dont think she has those seeds available right now?

Jamison said:
I think Yellow Datils are one of the most underrated peppers.  They are amazing.   I gave my wife's Grandpa a Datil plant to grow in April.  This is what it looked like in the middle of October.  That thing was a monster.  

Beautiful! Germinating some now.

I grew the yellow datil for the first time this year. I will not be growing it next year.

It was a nice productive plant, and I did like the pepper, but it does not compare to fatalii (in my opinion). The datil seemed to be similar to fatalii in taste, but was not as flavorful nor as hot. Also it is smaller and way more seedy than the fatalii. It just seemed like there was a lot more pepper vs seed with the fatalii.

The above observation is based only on the plants grown in my garden, others may have a different experience.

Back