• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A great day in the Valley

Rain is likely to possible for the next four day here in Cincy, so I took advantage of the weather today.

I have a large bed of lettuce - Simpson Elite and Flashy Trout Back that my son was going to sell to restaurants. He hasn't so I cut a bunch of it. Took bags full to four businesses I work with, along with several neighbors. No use in letting this stuff go to waste.

Got my rotary tiller fixed. There is nothing like tilling up dirt six inches deep and seeing it look almost as fine as sand. Planted a row of green beans and another row - 1/2 beets and 1/2 carrots.

I have room for three more rows of plants - one will be squash/zucchini. But any suggestions for the other two rows? I can raise mustard, kale or such, but no one in the family really likes to eat it. Perhaps sweet potatoes is one option, if it isn't too late.

BTW, I still want some horseradish roots if anyone has any. It is great to add to hot sauce, as long as used in moderation.

Mike

ABM,

No offense taken (though I'm sure you didn't mean anything! I used an identical model when I was young to till the small garden close to our house. It may be old but I love it. Regretably, I was only able to go over the area twice - usually I like to do it twice a day for two days, but with July already here and off and on rain predicted today through Sunday, I wanted to get the seeds in the ground.

Most of the area is where I filled in after the swimming pool was taken down. Strange dirt - a semi-hard rain for 15 minutes turns it into a rice paddy. But after three inches of rain, two days later the top is dry. But plants love it, especially the peppers, onions, carrots and beets.

Mike

It's way younger than me actually. I tried to fix one when I was young.
I'm going to the fair for fireworks now. I hope it doesn't rain.

It has rained, on and off, all day long. I love it, though it has messed up some festivities. The slow, light steady rain is what my containers and potato cages need - it soaks into the dirt instead of running out the sides or bottom. I wouldn't mind if it does this all day tomorrow also, especially since the next few day are suppose to be very warm. This kind of a rain is simply fantastic by the garden.

Mike

I'm thinking about a moving bed of lettuce/Mizuna. Sow two rows (about six inches apart from the others) every week this summer and into early fall. I have 36 feet of room so that would be 18 plantings.

Mike

Back