• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

You Bastards, you lured me in!

First, let me say thank you to RocketMan and Chili Monstah for putting together the thread on fermenting hot sauces.  Also to the many others that shared information in the 29 pages that I read through while learning about this new (to me) technique. 

I have started my first ferment.

1 lb scotch bonnets
1/2 lb cayenne (I think, the Korean market had them marked as "long hot pepper")
1 lb sweet onion
1 1/2 lb papaya
6 oz garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. pickling salt
1 tbsp. LB from brewing supply

I believe this is a derivation of a recipe that Rocketman posted (papaya instead of carrots).

I picked up air locks and grommets, two seconds on the drill press and I had the lid I needed for the jar.  I put cabbage leaves over the top of the mash and a small plastic cup floating at the top to keep the tip of the air lock free of sauce.  My house is not as warm as what appears to be the optimal temperature so I got a heating pad for a terrarium and placed it under the bottle, we'll see if that helps.

I started this on Friday evening.  Only one lone bubble in the sauce but I do see small bubbles in the air lock (kind of like seltzer water).

-Alden

20141031_182110_zpsvzaf6om3.jpg

What? No smoked peppers with that new (and awesome) Meadow Creek? jk

Looking good Alden. Nice recipe.

You've got it filled a little past the shoulder, so I'd put a tray under it just to be safe. She might spew at ya a little, little cup or not.

Keep us posted.

I picked up air locks and grommets, two seconds on the drill press and I had the lid I needed for the jar.

Jeeze, I was really hoping that this hobby would not require any big tools. :rolleyes:
Now I have to buy a drill press?   :rolleyes:

Looks great.  :dance:

Papaya instead of carrot? Nice idea.
I wonder though, is 1 1/2 tbsp pickling salt enough for over 4 pounds of fruits & veggies & pods.

I'm still in the kiddie side of the pool in fermenting so I'm not sure at all either way but I though you needed more salt to help the lacto go to work.

Hawaiianero said:
Papaya instead of carrot? Nice idea.
I wonder though, is 1 1/2 tbsp pickling salt enough for over 4 pounds of fruits & veggies & pods.

I'm still in the kiddie side of the pool in fermenting so I'm not sure at all either way but I though you needed more salt to help the lacto go to work.

It's my understanding that the salt is to protect the ferment before the LB gets going.  Since I used a large dose of LB as a starter I am hoping that will keep everything safe.

Smoked peppers come later, need to get a practice ferment or two under my belt.

The LB I used is from white labs, WLP677 Lactobacillus delbrueckii Bacteria.  It was $6 and change from the brewer supply, seems to have enough to start quite a few batches of peppers.

-Alden

AldenMiller said:

It's my understanding that the salt is to protect the ferment before the LB gets going.  Since I used a large dose of LB as a starter I am hoping that will keep everything safe.

The LB I used is from white labs, WLP677 Lactobacillus delbrueckii Bacteria.  It was $6 and change from the brewer supply, seems to have enough to start quite a few batches of peppers.

-Alden
I see you got a "like" from a couple of the fermenting guru's so you must be doing something right :cool:
Carry on my friend and I'm looking forward to more pics :party:

AldenMiller said:

-Alden
I use the same whitelab product and love it have had no problems. And I also went lite on the salt. :)

just use the same ingredients (except maybe salt) as the initial ferment, but FRESH if you like the heat level.  If you want to cut it a bit, use some onion, carrot, papaya, red or orange bell peppers, other things that add bulk but not a lot of flavor are apples and pears.

I've had good luck doing a ferment of red jalapeno, apple, carrot and garlic, then adding the same ingredients fresh.  I'm not a huge fan of a strong ferment flavor, but do like a bit of it in the background.

salsalady said:
just use the same ingredients (except maybe salt) as the initial ferment, but FRESH if you like the heat level.  If you want to cut it a bit, use some onion, carrot, papaya, red or orange bell peppers, other things that add bulk but not a lot of flavor are apples and pears.

I've had good luck doing a ferment of red jalapeno, apple, carrot and garlic, then adding the same ingredients fresh.  I'm not a huge fan of a strong ferment flavor, but do like a bit of it in the background.

Thanks SL!

I brought a little bit to work this morning and it is very popular as is.  I think I might add a little of the original ingredients as you suggest so it will tone down a little bit.  And I need to add some liquid to make it more pourable.

-Alden

Back