• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering My Only Overwinter This Year

I decided to be lazy this winter, since last winter sucked so much...LOL.

I decided to only overwinter my one plant, supposed to be a Reaper, since so few had ripened and there were so many green ones left on it.  They were all green when I brought them in last week, but they seem to be ripening a bit.

No idea if it actually is a Reaper or not.  I do like the variety of colors on it, but none have seemed to go deep red.  Just green, yellow and shades of orange...

WinteredPeppers_zps12ce8264.jpg

It's been trimmed back a fair amount so far, and as the peppers ripen, I'll trim it down a good deal more.  At least it should get me a bit of a head start next year if it survives the winter :)

Maybe that's what I need to do trim my plants down and it will get them to ripen up. lol  I have a few I plan on over wintering.

My reapers have been the same way. All set pods late in the summer and now I'm waiting anxiously for them to ripen so I can give the reapers their haircut and fit em for smaller shoes to bring inside. Definitely want to overwinter them to get a jumpstart next year seeing how long they seem to take. Luckily the weather has been cooperating but I've moved all the containers onto a trailer that I can push into the garage every night so they don't get too cold.

I figured the plant's energy was still going into green growth, blossoms and setting new fruit which is why I trimmed it back as much as I did.  I popped off about 30 other pods that were still way too small and about 50 blossoms.  

The only other plants that I was debating overwintering were my Cabai Burongs.  However, a Halloween hard freeze and snow decided for me.  The poor plants were brutally murderized by the cold... dying with easily over 100 green peppers on it.  It had been producing all season, and was throwing out new buds right to the end.

I only have a handful of pods from the Reaper so far, so I really wanted to keep it going if I can, so I can get a jump start next year.

cruzzfish said:
And here I am having all my plants in my room until April. I should learn to let go of a few of them.
Amen, I thought only I had this problem. It's my first time OW, so playing the numbers game to make sure I have enough material to work with come spring. I kept them all and haven't trimmed them yet. I'll probably have to scale back when it gets darker/colder/gloomier and DW threatens to kick me out of the house, but until then... 

Back