• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Tastiest Chocolate/Brown Medium to Hot

What happens when a newbie ends up with seeds from 80 varieties?
...shrugs shoulders. Wonders what to grow.  

I'm a not a huge fan of the superhots & am more into taste than heat. I've got several varieties germinating now, but have a lot more to sort out. Growing for taste and would like a variety of shape & color. As I decide what makes the cut, I'd like to hear what people think of some of the chocolates/browns- some of which are somewhat related. How about putting these in order of taste or pick a couple of your favorites:

Chocolate Habanero
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Chocolate Fatalii (I really like the taste of these & am growing for sure)
Black Fatalii
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Moruga
Brown Moruga
Chocolate Congo
Black Congo
7 Pod Brown
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Yaki Brown

Thanks!

Excuse my ignorance, but arent the chocolate hab, chocolate congo and black congo all one and the same? What differences are there?
I cant answer your question though, this is my first year growing a couple of chocolate/browns

Dynebag said:
Excuse my ignorance, but arent the chocolate hab, chocolate congo and black congo all one and the same? What differences are there?
I cant answer your question though, this is my first year growing a couple of chocolate/browns
No, my ignorance. I think you're right about 2 of those. Chocolate Habanero & Congo Black seem to be the same thing but Jamaican Hot Chocolate is different. ...I think.

All of those are very hot to superhot for me...
Anyway i would pick choco hab in the lower range for taste.

Cya

Datil

Now here is a real noob question, but when people talk about cholocate chillies is it a flavour or just the color - like chocolate Labradors?   :P

Most chocolates tend to work better powdered/flaked and yes it is a color reference as none taste like coca

Chocolate Habaneros are a tried and true staple - you could easily list them (and should!) on a compiled list of 'classic' chilis to grow. They are hotter than your average (orange) Habanero with the always mentioned 'smokey' flavor to them. The smokiness is subjective not only to the eater but also growing conditions contribute to / factor in producing desired optimum character traits, just like 'fruitiness', but the ones I have had indeed/ carried this attribute. They are one of my favorites! I have always wanted to sample them next to the Chocolate Scotch Bonnets to compare, but alas- I neither have peppers nor seeds..I gobbled the whole things when I had them. It is also my understanding that the Congo Brown (Black) is synonymous with the Chocolate Hab. The Habanero and Scotch Bonnets are generally grouped under the 'Habanero Types' banner anyways. There are/may be some variations in phenotypes/growth patterns, but the differences are not so huge. That is one of the bothersome things with any type of seeds, of any type of plants- there are usually many named varieties of the same plant/seeds going by similar but obviously different names. (ie; Aji Lemon Drops, Aji Lemons, Aji Hot Lemons, etc..)  It would be fun to do a grow out of all the various Brown/Black Habs & Bonnets to see side-by-sides!

If your looking more into taste and not heat, the Morugas and 7 Pot would be last- definitely superhots there! The Fatali's and Bhut Jolokia would be mid way, they are for most people not a grab-and-eat at a whim like a Habanero might be...

I think what your really looking for are C. baccatum type peppers. I only have experience (tasting..not growing) with the above mentioned Aji Lemon Drops- opened my eyes to the deliciousness and perfect heat for eating 'out of hand' that peppers can really be. Others peppers constantly recommended on these forums for 'taste' and not overpowering heat are the Aji Pineapples, Brazillian Starfish, Bahamian Goats (C. chinense not baccatum), etc.. These are what I'm personally eager to stuff my face with! Then there are Thai varieties......many, so many choices that fit your 'Growing for taste and would like a variety of shape & color' bill.

Chocolate Habs for certain though..IMO..

Good luck!

TNKS said:
Most chocolates tend to work better powdered/flaked and yes it is a color reference as none taste like coca

Thanks, now I know - I guess 'brown' just doesn't sound that tasty :)

Jonquill said:
Now here is a real noob question, but when people talk about cholocate chillies is it a flavour or just the color - like chocolate Labradors?   :P
It's the color.

My favorites for flavor on your list would be.

1. JHC
2. Chocolate Fatalii
3. Brown Moruga (Probably hotter than you want, but would be great in a salsa or sauce for you)

If you're not looking for intense heat, my vote would be:
1) Chocolate Habanero
2) Chocolate Fatalii

If you want some heat, then try:
1) Brown Moruga
2) Black Naga
3) Chocolate Scorpion

Alchymystic said:
Chocolate Habaneros are a tried and true staple - you could easily list them (and should!) on a compiled list of 'classic' chilis to grow. They are hotter than your average (orange) Habanero with the always mentioned 'smokey' flavor to them. The smokiness is subjective not only to the eater but also growing conditions contribute to / factor in producing desired optimum character traits, just like 'fruitiness', but the ones I have had indeed/ carried this attribute. They are one of my favorites! I have always wanted to sample them next to the Chocolate Scotch Bonnets to compare, but alas- I neither have peppers nor seeds..I gobbled the whole things when I had them. It is also my understanding that the Congo Brown (Black) is synonymous with the Chocolate Hab. The Habanero and Scotch Bonnets are generally grouped under the 'Habanero Types' banner anyways. There are/may be some variations in phenotypes/growth patterns, but the differences are not so huge. That is one of the bothersome things with any type of seeds, of any type of plants- there are usually many named varieties of the same plant/seeds going by similar but obviously different names. (ie; Aji Lemon Drops, Aji Lemons, Aji Hot Lemons, etc..)  It would be fun to do a grow out of all the various Brown/Black Habs & Bonnets to see side-by-sides!

If your looking more into taste and not heat, the Morugas and 7 Pot would be last- definitely superhots there! The Fatali's and Bhut Jolokia would be mid way, they are for most people not a grab-and-eat at a whim like a Habanero might be...

I think what your really looking for are C. baccatum type peppers. I only have experience (tasting..not growing) with the above mentioned Aji Lemon Drops- opened my eyes to the deliciousness and perfect heat for eating 'out of hand' that peppers can really be. Others peppers constantly recommended on these forums for 'taste' and not overpowering heat are the Aji Pineapples, Brazillian Starfish, Bahamian Goats (C. chinense not baccatum), etc.. These are what I'm personally eager to stuff my face with! Then there are Thai varieties......many, so many choices that fit your 'Growing for taste and would like a variety of shape & color' bill.

Chocolate Habs for certain though..IMO..

Good luck!

Thanks to all for these responses. I've tried over half of those listed- either pods or dried. ...and I know the Morugas, 7 Pots & Bhut Jolokias have much greater heat than the others. I will grow a couple of varieties of those on a limited basis. I guess the better question is what you alluded to- are the similarities too close to grow more than one of the following: Chocolate Habs, Chocolate Scotch Bonnets, Chocolate Congos & Jamaican Hot Chocolates? ...assuming you're growing maybe 40 varieties.

I am planning on growing all of the baccatums you mentioned.

Thanks again.

For a wider range in flavor there are some mildly hot to hot Annuums that have lots of flavor like Ancho Mulato, Pasilla Apaseo or Pasilla de Oaxaca great dried and used in sauces, there are some spicy Aji's that turn brown and there are some C. chinense that brown that are mildly hot like Aji Brown despite the Aji name it is a true C. chinense, Chocolate Congos are larger Than Brown Habs. and Hotter. Brown peppers taste wise is often somewhat bitter, earthy and have a somewhat tobacco like flavor with some fruity notes to them, they are hardly ever as sweet as a red or yellow type. There are some that start off purple and then turn brown with brownish purple markings to me they are the least flavorful some being quite bitter with a strong earthy tobacco like flavor these fall in the least liked category in my book. None have a chocolate flavor, but the earthy tobacco and berry notes will sometimes taste some what like a bitter chocolate as it has some of the same micro taste to it. Nigel has reviewed some of the brown, chocolate and chocolate/purple/ black peppers and gives one of the best descriptive reviews that you can find as he has a very good palate where he can tell what all the tiny flavors are,  much like a wine taster. 

Great review. Thanks. The only pods of the above I've had are: Chocolate Fatalii (loved), Chocolate & Brown Moruga & Chocolate Ghost. The last 3 are a bit beyond my tolerance level. I've had & enjoyed Yaki Brown & Chocolate Hab flakes.

Thanks again.

coachspencerxc said:

Thanks!

i don't think you'll find many people who have tried all of those and remember the flavor / heat nuances.
congo, habanero, scotch bonnet are all different. black, chocolate, brown can all be different.

if i were you i'd grow:
choc hab 
choc fataliis
choc moruga

these all have different shapes and different heat levels.

Many of the habs / bonnets / congos will look very similar (they will taste a little different) so it won't be too interesting to grow them all. I'll give yaki brown an honorable mention because the plant has brown stem / highlights in the leaves so it looks kinda cool.

+1 to Chocolate Habanero's
I've been growing orange habs for a few years now and only recently was given some chocolate habs from a friend of a friend. I can't speak to the purity of them but aside from the higher heat level of the chocolate habs I noticed a very distinct sweetness just before the heat kicks in that the orange habs don't have. I am germinating some seeds from those pods right now.

Of the listed, the best for me is the chocolate scotch bonnet, healthy plant, tasty not superhot pods and producive as f*ck.

One great chocolate variety is aji panca.

Jonquill said:
Hard to say. What does a chocolate Labrador taste like?
Spencer, I've grown/eaten everything on your list except chocolate fatalii. Thing is, I'm not really a fan of the flavor of most chocolate pods. To quote Nigel, they have notes of "leather and dirt." I find them bitter.

That said, Judy's Chocolate Lava actually tasted pretty good to me, and I LOVE Ají Panca.

Back