• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ideas for sauces using Fatalii?

Hey all, I am about to harvest way more Fatalii than I could ever use. Any ideas for sauces with Fatalii as a base? I made a cooked mango/pineapple/fatalii sauce awhile back that worked out well, but wonder if anyone has made anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Fatalii's have a nice kind of sweetness and notes of citrus that lent themselves to just about any kind of a fruit sauce. I use them in several and in my Bourbon Fatalii Apple Butter. Have fun and post pictures :)

Cheers,
RM

Justaguy said:
Mmmm fresh fatalii. I didn't grow them this year but the freezer still has some. Candied fatalii are good

Now candied peppers are a territory I have not stepped into yet. Is there a sticky somewhere that goes over this topic? I can imagine the sweet smell of fataliis would lend well to a candying.

RocketMan said:
Fatalii's have a nice kind of sweetness and notes of citrus that lent themselves to just about any kind of a fruit sauce. I use them in several and in my Bourbon Fatalii Apple Butter. Have fun and post pictures :)

Cheers,
RM

Butter?! Sheesh you can make anything with peppers! And that bourbon fatalii apple butter sounds delish...

LuckyLuke said:
I did mine with Mango and ginger.

Ooooh ginger is good. I might have to try that sometime. Is it strictly a sweet sauce?

filmost said:

Ooooh ginger is good. I might have to try that sometime. Is it strictly a sweet sauce?

Well, it is. But it depends on how you tweak this. I also added garlic, onion and apple vinegar to take it to next level. But possibilities are endless. You can switch fruit for vegetable only.

filmost said:

Butter?! Sheesh you can make anything with peppers! And that bourbon fatalii apple butter sounds delish...

It's not butter as in Dairy butter, they call it a butter because it's like super thick apple sauce. Almost like a jam or a preserve.

Try making them into a jam.  Last year I made a Fatalii and Pineapple jam and it is great on toast in the morning or later in the day on crackers and cream cheese.

You can substitute Fatalii's for Habaneros in any of the Habanero jam recipes on the web.

Fataliis seem to go well with pineapples, mango's or peaches in jams or in sauces

PapaBill said:
DaQatz has a couple links to their threads on making candied peppers in this post:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51300-devils-tongue-candies/

And yea, post pics if you do it :)

Most definitely will post pics. Just gotta find a convenient time and excuse to make it, wife might not be too keen with me cooking down fresh peppers like that haha.

LuckyLuke said:

Well, it is. But it depends on how you tweak this. I also added garlic, onion and apple vinegar to take it to next level. But possibilities are endless. You can switch fruit for vegetable only.

Cools, I will have to play around sometime.

RocketMan said:

It's not butter as in Dairy butter, they call it a butter because it's like super thick apple sauce. Almost like a jam or a preserve.

Haha you had me wondering there for a minute. I thought it was some kind of fancy artisan butter spread :-) Still sounds freaking delicious.

ChiliNoob said:

Sweet! Thanks that's definitely a recipe to try right there.

bpwilly said:
Try making them into a jam.  Last year I made a Fatalii and Pineapple jam and it is great on toast in the morning or later in the day on crackers and cream cheese.

You can substitute Fatalii's for Habaneros in any of the Habanero jam recipes on the web.

Fataliis seem to go well with pineapples, mango's or peaches in jams or in sauces

This is something I have been wanting to try too. I will have to try and source the materials for jam making sometime. Should have bought it when I was in the US this summer but didn't even think about it. Sounds delicious too!

I had a huge crop of fataliis a few years back and tried all sorts of sauces with them - my favorite was fresh pureed fataliis, pineapple juice, ginger, lime juice, and enough grain alcohol to get the total abv up to about 20% to inhibit any bacteria/mold/etc. growth.  Years later that sauce still has the same bright, fresh bite that it had when I first made it instead of that mellowed, aged flavor that vinegar based sauces seem to develop over time.

EBHarvey said:
I had a huge crop of fataliis a few years back and tried all sorts of sauces with them - my favorite was fresh pureed fataliis, pineapple juice, ginger, lime juice, and enough grain alcohol to get the total abv up to about 20% to inhibit any bacteria/mold/etc. growth.  Years later that sauce still has the same bright, fresh bite that it had when I first made it instead of that mellowed, aged flavor that vinegar based sauces seem to develop over time.

First time I have ever heard of using alcohol in a sauce, crazy!

Back