• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for a hot pepper jelly recipe .

Hey everyone! 

I'm looking for a hot pepper jelly recipe. If anyone knows of a good one I'd like to give it a try. Thanks!

Cheers!

Why go to google when we have chiliheads here?

There's a reason he asked, no need for a smartass reply.

Are you looking for pepper jelly (no fruit) or a pepper jam/preserve with fruit?

There's an awesome looking cranberry habanero jelly recipe by Meathead in the "other" section of the recipes forum that I'm going to try this year. Couple others in there too. I'm pretty sure you can substitute any pepper and still come out with a winner.

Try this recipe.  Not mine, turbo's recipe.
I just made it few hours ago. Screwed a bit, because not having enough lemon drops, also I was thinking the vinegar quantity is too much and cut a bit, and the liquid pectine can't find it here, so used another kind of "jellyficator", but probably not the right way. Or maybe need some more time to solidify. However, the smallest jar (580ml) is almost empty...

Later edit: Solidification complete! Taste great!

The Hot Pepper said:
Why go to google when we have chiliheads here?

There's a reason he asked, no need for a smartass reply.
You're right. I do the same thing. Ask questions. Its the only way to learn.

Judge I apologize for being a dick.

LOL no prob. Not all the answers are here. 

A link to something you found in google is fine, but the LMGTFY page is just a smart answer as if they don't know how to google. No worries, we're all jokers at times.

The Hot Pepper said:
LOL no prob. Not all the answers are here. 

A link to something you found in google is fine, but the LMGTFY page is just a smart answer as if they don't know how to google. No worries, we're all jokers at times.
The only thing funnier than not knowing what LMGTFY means is to google it and read the answer :doh:

Hawaiianero said:
The only thing funnier than not knowing what LMGTFY means is to google it and read the answer :doh:

Ha! Talk about stuck in a space time continuum!

I make a variation of this (from Herne_the_Hunter) every year (I typically use 6 oz of Yellow Scorpions or Yellow 7 Pots and 2 oz of red Biker Billy Jalapenos and whatever version of red smoked super hot powder that I made):

Ingredients: For Six 250ml Jars
* 6oz* of Raspberries (de-stalked)
* 4 oz of Orange Habaneros (de-stalked)
* 4oz of Red Jalapeno (de-stalked, membrane and seeds removed)
* 1 tea spoon Smoked Trinidad Scorpion Powder
* 6 Cups Sugar
* 1 Cup of white distilled vinegar
* 1 packet of Liquid Pectin
* 2 table spoons of lemon juice concentrate

1. Wash Raspberries and remove any green stalks or leaves
2. Wash Habaneros and remove stalks
3. Wash Jalapenos, cut in half and remove membrane, seeds and stalks
4. Put in blender along with ½ of Vinegar. Blend until smooth
5. Transfer into Pot.
6. Use remainder of vinegar to wash out the blender into the pot
7. Bring Mixture to boil, stirring occasionally
8. Cover and then let simmer for 20 minutes
9. Strain contents into another pan
10. Put liquid into pan, stir in sugar, liquid pectin and scorpion powder
11. Bring to a vigorous boil stirring continually . Boil for 1 minute then remove heat
12. Skim Foam if necessary
Ladle Jelly into hot sterilized jars leaving ¼’ headroom, seal the jars and then Boil jars for 5 minutes.

Hahahahahah sirex!! Good one!! I felt like I was setting myself up for a responses like that. The Hot Pepper hit it, I'm asking fellow chiliheads for their advice. Anyway what I was thinking was a pepper jelly (no fruit) recipe but after seeing some of the suggestions, I'm starting to consider a pepper jam. 

Cheers!

Ive made 8 or so different recipes and here's what Ive found:

Using a proven recipe and following the measurements exaclty is key
With any jam/jelly recipe, use the the called for pectin type (some use liquid, some use powder)
Don't double recipes, make two batches if you have to.
Nothing worse than a batch not setting up ( usually attributed to not following the above)

This is my fave recipe

Ingredients
1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped hot peppers (I used inferno peppers)
3 cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin
Instructions
In a large deep saucepan, combine apricots and vinegar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Add red onion and hot peppers to apricots. Stir in sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam.
Either can (process for 10 minutes) or refrigerate for up to 1 month.

FiremanSmith said:
Ive made 8 or so different recipes and here's what Ive found:

Using a proven recipe and following the measurements exaclty is key
With any jam/jelly recipe, use the the called for pectin type (some use liquid, some use powder)
Don't double recipes, make two batches if you have to.
Nothing worse than a batch not setting up ( usually attributed to not following the above)

This is my fave recipe

Ingredients
1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped hot peppers (I used inferno peppers)
3 cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin
Instructions
In a large deep saucepan, combine apricots and vinegar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Add red onion and hot peppers to apricots. Stir in sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam.
Either can (process for 10 minutes) or refrigerate for up to 1 month.

Hey FiremanSmith, 

Can I use powder pectin for this recipe? I have a couple of pectin powder packages on hand. Also approximately how many jars does this make?

Thanks!

Ive never used powder pectin. Everthing ive read suggests using whatever is specified. If you get it wrong the jelly never sets.

It is a small recipe. I got 7 1/4 pint jars. I usually make two or three batches, one after another.

So I used sirex's trusty link and learned how to substitute powder pectin for liquid pectin. I ended up getting four 125ml (4 oz) jars out of it. I'm just waiting for it to set. Can't wait to try it. Thanks FIremanSmith! 

That's some good looking jelly.So,did it set?Did you try it?

It did and it taste great!! I'd definitely recommend this recipe.

Back