• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

anyone make their own hot olives?

Just wondering if anyone makes their own olives with a kick? The idea sounds interesting to me. Its a pain to cure olives yes/no? What time ofyear do you harvest the olives?

Thanks for your advice.

Rymerpt

I've been making Marinated Olives for years now, and it would be easy to add some hot pepper to the recipe. You can use any olives, black or green. Combine the olives with plenty of peeled roasted garlic cloves, sprigs of rosemary and thyme, a dash of balsamic vinegar and a dash of extra virgin olive oil. The olives can be kept in the refrigerator for weeks. I hadn't thought to add peppers, but I plan on trying it. Good idea!

I searched for a bit to no avail.  Essegi posted a thread a year or so ago where he made his own marinated olives from his olive tree.  Those things looked amazing.  Maybe he will see this and give us the link.

kentishman said:
I've been making Marinated Olives for years now, and it would be easy to add some hot pepper to the recipe. You can use any olives, black or green. Combine the olives with plenty of peeled roasted garlic cloves, sprigs of rosemary and thyme, a dash of balsamic vinegar and a dash of extra virgin olive oil. The olives can be kept in the refrigerator for weeks. I hadn't thought to add peppers, but I plan on trying it. Good idea!
Are you using fresh olives? If so, where do you get them from? I've been thing I could make a better tasting pickled olive than the ones that are passed off as being "gourmet" around here.

No, I don't have access to fresh olives. I go to a middle eastern market that has several types in 5-gallon buckets. I like to use ones that are already pitted. I mix a green one (don't know the name) with black Kalamatas. The olives make a good appetizer served with a hard cheese (Manchego works well). It would be very easy to add some peppers and give them some heat.

Tom

Back