• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaves falling off a Trini Scorpion

The only superhot that has actually bloomed so far and now the leaves are falling off it. No sign of insects, the other leaves look nice and green, no indication of any problems, except a growing pile of leaves at the base of the plant.

Any possible idea? It's in a container just like all the others - in fact, it is sitting next to about a dozen plants.

Mike

Falling off green. They don't turn yellow, just wilt for a day or so and then, poof, they are fodder for the compost pile.

Mike

Pepper plants will drop leaves when they don't need them any longer. It seems for the last month I have been clearing leaves from the soil constantly. All leaves below the first branch should fall off. Wish all my Scorpions looked like this one.
IMG_0480.jpg

I don't think its normal for multiple leaves to fall off green but I can't say I know why its happening. Is it mostly the bottom leaves?

Great Scorpion pod Pepper Ridge Farm. Perfect representation.

Back to the original issue...near the end of the season, it's common for the lower leaves to yellow and drop. It usually doesn't happen 1-2 months after planting, unless major environmental issues occur (cold weather, wind damage, etc.). Nitrogen overload?

Chris

Not to go too far off topic LUCKYDOG everytime I look at your sig I chuckle..well maby because its true lol
"Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

Potawie,

Yep, only the bottom ones. The plant itself is blooming.

There must be something in the air. In the backyard I have this Anaheim. A little over a foot tall, nice and bushy, bunches of blooms and green pods. No insects at all - at least none the eye can see and I can see aphids and mites, but the leaves are all drooping. Almost like it needs watered. But I watered it last night and this morning, plus it has rained off and on today. Plus the leaves are green. A couple do have tiny white spots on them that seem to go through the entire leaf - I can see the spot on both sides. They don't rub off though, as aphids would.

anaheim.jpg

Mike

Damping off happens...I've lost a few plants to this blight this year,it pays to grow multiple plants.Its probably best to dump the soil also.

I think it's something to do with Scorpions in different regions. All of my Scorpions lost their bottom leaves when I put them outside, but a month later they grew new ones and are healthy as ever!
CIMG2265.jpg

CIMG2263.jpg

PepperFreak,

Thanks for the reassuring photo. I keep telling myself: don't miocromanage - they are plants and will live or die, but then turn around and nearly freak out when something that is probably normal happens.

I had a lot less stress last year when I know nothing about growing peppers except to water them when the ground got really dry!

Mike

Anyone selling Trinidad Scorpions. I would trade some salsa that I will make with them as well. I don't have a garden to grow anything so I have to leech or buy off of someone. Someone gave me seeds this past spring, but the 2 people I gave the seeds to, one killed by 100 degree sun and the other drowned by flood. I hate to bother the same people for seeds and then end up with nothing again.

Anyone know someone that actually sells these peppers?

I'm sure there will be plenty of fresh scorpion pods around soon and if not I can send you some dried ones.

wordwiz said:
PepperFreak,

Thanks for the reassuring photo. I keep telling myself: don't miocromanage - they are plants and will live or die, but then turn around and nearly freak out when something that is probably normal happens.

I had a lot less stress last year when I know nothing about growing peppers except to water them when the ground got really dry!

Mike

Your welcome bro! Don't worry about the plants as they'll come back good and strong I'm sure. Here's a photo from about a month after the ones above when their leaves all fell off.
scorpionrecovered.jpg

Buddah said:
Anyone selling Trinidad Scorpions. I would trade some salsa that I will make with them as well. I don't have a garden to grow anything so I have to leech or buy off of someone. Someone gave me seeds this past spring, but the 2 people I gave the seeds to, one killed by 100 degree sun and the other drowned by flood. I hate to bother the same people for seeds and then end up with nothing again.

Anyone know someone that actually sells these peppers?

After I get some seeds later on this year I can give you a bunch if you want. I'll wait until I get some fresh pods when I transfer them inside though. That way I know they aren't cross pollinated.

Back