• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Eveer been lit up recently by a seemingly mediocre pepper?

So I noticed something that makes me chuckle a bit, but also showed me something. I was sent a box of pods from a very nice guy on Facebook, and one of his Habs lit me up! I could'nt believe it, and the experience had me feeling like a rookie, lol. It was a Cappuccino Habanero. Damn pepper became my nemisis, and treated me like a punk, lol. I've had Bhuts of all colors, Reapers, Brainstrains incl. Chocolate which were ass kickers as well, among others very hot, and considered superhots. Then I eat this hab, and its like everything else was a cake walk compared to this. I thought the guy tricked me, and sent some special superhot he created, but nope. He just sent a Cap. hab. SOB, I felt like I took a step backwards. So needless to say I had another example of a pepper that although it might not register very hot on the Scolville scale, it was painful. Pain, and heat don't always accompany one another. Also, sometimes you get so used to certain peppers, that one comes along that your not used to and bam! it smacks you around a bit. So yes, get a good laugh at the guy who got his ass kicked by a Habanero, when I have taken on much more. So you need me, go ahead and point your fat finger at the bad guy, go ahead because you need to guys like me to make you feel better! lol.

I got my ass kicked by a jalapeno this year! It was one that I grew out and I swear it was hot as any other. I never in my life had a jalapeno that hot but I have a theory,  It was planted right next to my dryer vent and was constantly hit by hot air which I think pissed it off. I'm probably sounding like a beach but I don't care it was hot.

Any pepper whose heat hits me under the tongue always kick my arse, no matter the heat level. This year it was the aji chuncho I grew for the growdown that got me. Super juicy and a great flavour the was just made for snacking, but the under the tongue burn really had me struggling til it subsided every time.

Yeah, this time I got a bit of those sort of anxious panicky type feelings, that I experienced when I tried a tablespoon of Pax's Singularity hot sauce.

Rocoto San Isidro lit me up last week. It was like a chocolate hab mixed with a big lump of wasabi. Went straight up my sinuses and I coughed and choked like a 2 year old eating raw horseradish root. 

I`ve never had that with ANY pepper before. 

Count me in the Jalapeno camp as well! When in season, I get some local farm raised Penos' that utterly blow a typical Habanero out of the water. It's primarily that these Jalapenos effect me in no other way as far as overall effects than any other pepper I have eaten as well. That's why I love these, especially when they are are the fiery ones!! For example: instantaneous burn- start coughing almost immediately with a big bite, an intense 'tingle feeling' all over that no other pepper gives, profuse forehead and face sweat combined with the nasal drips and crazy pressure behind the eyes (sometimes get blurry vision)...again that no other pepper gives me personally- the others just hurt and burn mostly. These Jalapenos cause all kinds of bells and whistles to go off in my head! (their alkaloid % and variance is surely causing this..Capsaicin and Dihydrocapsaicin)

First time I tried one and was just expecting the typical, it put me too in the 'panic/freak out' mode for a few moments! Don't ever underestimate the peppers. I savor while they last, but more often they are just the 'typical' we all know. So yeah, my ass bears the boot print of a Jalapeno too!

I think the perception of heat differs depending upon your expectations. I picked the last of the ripe Congo Trinidads from my plants and, while cleaning them, decided to pop one of the tiny ones into my mouth for a snack. In my experience most of the tiny end-of-season pods have little or no heat, so I was surprised as all get-out by the heat from this tiny pod. The thing was no larger than 1/4 inch, but boy did it pack a wallop. I've eaten plenty of Congo Trinidads over the years, so am usually prepared for the heat - not this time. Wow. 

I find it really interesting how heat and the effects, including pain do not per say go hand in hand. You can get a higher heat measurement, but have another with a lower heat rating have a more painful effect on you. All those different capsaicans blending and changing with the different types can produce some interesting  effects. There is a saying, sometimes less is more. Its not always about the amount, as perhaps some varieties contain a grouping so to speak of these plant based chemicals that produce quite a strong reaction and effect.

I had some peppers do me the same way too Aaron.Like others have comment on the differ types of peppers. Some of them peppers are just down right mean.

I was also tore up by a measly jalapeno a few years ago. I had a plant that was pretty productive and had eaten maybe a dozen or so peppers off of the plant when I pulled one off for dinner one night. The first bite off of the end was so hot it made me stop in my tracks and I had to slow down and regroup. I began sweating and nose was running something fierce. A few minutes later the sting subsided and all was well, so I took another bite... this time it was worse. I did not finish that jalapeno and I felt like a wimp. All of the other jalapenos on that plant were mild again the rest of the year. I found it strange that there was that one outlier that had blazing torturous heat from an otherwise mild pepper plant.

cloudhand said:
I was also tore up by a measly jalapeno a few years ago. I had a plant that was pretty productive and had eaten maybe a dozen or so peppers off of the plant when I pulled one off for dinner one night. The first bite off of the end was so hot it made me stop in my tracks and I had to slow down and regroup. I began sweating and nose was running something fierce. A few minutes later the sting subsided and all was well, so I took another bite... this time it was worse. I did not finish that jalapeno and I felt like a wimp. All of the other jalapenos on that plant were mild again the rest of the year. I found it strange that there was that one outlier that had blazing torturous heat from an otherwise mild pepper plant.
That is one of the aspects that just add to the appeal of consuming hot peppers. There is always the possibility of SURPRISE

I took and early jalapeno off the plant this year that I swore must have been crossed with a super hot. The first bite was all I could manage.

Back