• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is happening to my Red Savinas

This has rescently started happening to my Red Savina peppers and my carribean reds.The top new growth, leaves and flower pods ate a very pale yellow , nearly white.

Any ideas what it may be?

The other peppers dont have it and they have the same soil , feed , sun etc.

This is only happening to the topmost growing tips on the top of the plants. The new growth coming out from the middle and lower part of the plant is all green right to the tips.

P1170575640x480.jpg

P1170524640x480.jpg

Ditto! I put a limon in hydro, along with a Thai Dragon. The Limon did that, the Dragon didn't. I've been spraying it with a solution of 30-10-10 fert and Epsom salts. It is getting better but still has quite a bit of white in the leaves.

Mike

I've given them a good dose of epsom salts about 5 days ago and have not seen any improvement. I've been scared to overfertilize as I have read that peppers dont need a lot of fertilization and they have all had a healthy dose of soluble fert in the soil about a month ago. They have grown very little for the last month and a half due to the crappy weather. But the last week the weather has been nice and all the plants have taken off. Maybee I'll try spray some of the plants and see if they like it.

Side note..... Friday afternoon BLOG..I've been craving some heat and am getting very impatient so I harvested a few green peppers today, a purple jalapeno, a serrano del sol and one of the little baby red savinas only slightly larger than the size of a pea. The purple Jap had verry litle flavour and virtualy no heat. The Serranno del sol had a little more flavour but virtually no heat down towards the tip but a noticable heat near the stem end. Those peppers were around 2 and a half inches long.

Sat here surfin on the computer enjoying the aftertaste of the Serrano for a while and realized, man, I'm really craving some Hab flavour. Was reading the thread on Fatalis and since I've never tasted one was very curious about the flavour as almost everyone describes it as one of their favorite tasting peppers. So I walked back down to the yard and climbed the ladder back up to the shed roof. Looked at my Fatali pods and thought .. Damn, they are just too damn small. Looked over at one of the Red Savinas and saw it had lots of pods and a couple nearly the size of a hazelnut. Picked one off and bit half of it off. Ok. Nice. Theres that nice pungent Hab flavour I've been craving. Few seconds later... ya ok, these little buggers got some heat to em. Popped the other half in my mouth and chewed on it. Ya Baby! NICE! Walked back up into the house and sat down on the computer. Surf a bit. Sweat building on the brow, mouth burning, wow, Damn, what are these these little buggers going to be like when they grow up. Sip some beer, nope, not calming things down, ya knew that. Is there any cheese in the fridge. Ok, burning is easing up a bit. Nice flavour and burn lingering, ok, this what I have been missing.

Sat here posting this, feeling a nice burn and aftertaste and I realized I'd let the proverbial genie out of the lamp, I can't stop. Walked back down to the shed roof plantation and eyed the Fatalis again, nope, too small. Eyed the Naga Morich and Dorset Naga plants. Hey, there's a Naga Morich pod the size of a pea. (cradle robber) Yup I picked it. Popped the whole thing into my mouth and gave it a good chompin. Well I gotta say the flavour was nice , very similar to the red savina but maybe a little less smoky and maybe more citrusy. Very Nice. The heat level was a bit dissapointing though. Much hotter than the Jap and Serrano but not nearly as hot as the Red Savina. Very immature pod though, I'm sure it will get much hotter when it matures. I'm very impressed with the flavour if not the heat though for such an immature pod.

I'm going to have to cruise the produce stands and see if I can find some Habs because I'm now going to be too impatient to wait three or four weeks for my annuums to ripen and longer for the habs.

you don't want to pop a whole naga in your mouth when they start to turn do you?...I have a bunch of them that are ripe but dare not to just chomp one down...I know...wuss here...

Back