• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

UAV

Any one else tinkering with drones? ...

Buehler?!?! =)

west.jpg

Recent sunset via TBS Discovery (H3+) ...

good luck with that ...

just for the sake of being realistic, though ... the state of the art for personal use wouldn't let you do anything all that creepy ...

if there's a drone overhead close enough to see much (with resolution) on the GoPro, the person underneath it can DEFINITELY hear it because they are pretty noisy still ... (but for how long?) ...

you also won't find very long lenses on them, because weight is a huge issue while the batteries are so heavy ...

it's pretty fun, and actually, a place w/ space like the pics I've seen you post would make it even more worth it ...

anyways ... can track dryness, infestations, and so many more things ...

farming people will gushing over their drones in 2 years ...

sirex said:
My brother in law is a videographer/photographer and uses one. He gets business from local realtors with it.

Yeah ... realtors ask pretty much every time I'm out flying if I have thought about shooting properties (and then hand me a card) ...

It's actually a little questionable (FAA) for commercial use right now, but you are free and clear to fly for personal enjoyment if you stay under the ceiling and 5 miles from airports and not over crowds etc ...

Good times.

I'm building another one now, that's a variable pitch quad that does 3D (acro) ...

And I've added a mini recently, too, which I need to get out and fly finally, soon ... that one I'm setting up for FPV (1st person view) ...

It's a lot of fun ...

Yeah, I mean, common-sense required ...

Turkey frying hurts people too, for that matter ... just wait a couple of more weeks from now until some folks plop frozen birds in the $35 turkey frying appliances!

oh,it would be awesome to have one for the farm, check a calf from a half mile away while im sitting on porch drinking.  But if I see my "neighbour using one and he has it in my "air space" im shooting,lol.

If i lived in a neighbour hood i would be crazed mad if one of my neighbours had it flying over the hood.

sicman said:
oh,it would be awesome to have one for the farm, check a calf from a half mile away while im sitting on porch drinking.  But if I see my "neighbour using one and he has it in my "air space" im shooting,lol.

If i lived in a neighbour hood i would be crazed mad if one of my neighbours had it flying over the hood.

I've been writing some code to bind GPS collars to single use drones for flying to GPS locations and providing driving instructions to wherever the drone is ... for tracking down loose horses etc ...

Animals wear collars or otherwise with GPS ... drone sits on the wall and you hope you never have to use it.

Horse gets free, you walk outside, set it down, plug in the battery, and get in your car/4-wheeler and follow the app like it's a TomTom ...

Every little bit of time you know more about where they've gone helps a ton in getting them back ...

I spent a lot of time catching greyhounds that escaped kennel compounds when I was young, and it's nerve-wracking ...

It's probably especially worthwhile with horses though ... bastards spook easily, and they have the value commensurate with buying the system ...

grantmichaels said:
I've been writing some code to bind GPS collars to single use drones for flying to GPS locations and providing driving instructions to wherever the drone is ... for tracking down loose horses etc ...

Why do you use GPS collars ? Because of the price ? Are those cheaper than a simple gps module ?

Won't matter to the system where the GPS info originates from, but it's likely possible to generate charge from the animals movement/gate to keep the GPS beacon pinging without requiring batteries ...

There's so much fresh stuff, now ... we're just seeing the beginnings of it what's possible, really ...

Who knows if that's what I'll go back to working on after busy season ends, but it's something near and dear to me ... which counts.

sicman said:

A lot of the bigger commercial farms out in the Midwest use them.

Oh! I get it now :)
I must admit I'm not very familiar with those collar things.
How do you plan on binding to the collar ?
Are you going to use a tracking service or are you going to implement your own tracking platform?
Or, are you going to push the data to the drone itself ? You cannot do that, can you ?

Yo grant. I have two horses. Hook a brother up with a drone ill be a tester for you.

sirex said:
A lot of the bigger commercial farms out in the Midwest use them.
Ya. Ive seen all kinds of videos.  

They for sure can be usefull. But there needs to be VERY stiff penalties for the abuse of one. Gov. and Civ.

lucilanga said:
Oh! I get it now :)
I must admit I'm not very familiar with those collar things.
How do you plan on binding to the collar ?
Are you going to use a tracking service or are you going to implement your own tracking platform?
Or, are you going to push the data to the drone itself ? You cannot do that, can you ?

the tracking platform would be the easiest part for me ...

there's a lot of cool stuff in this space ... flutter, gotenna, sdr, nfc ...

there's a lot of crafty folks in the glog areas, and i'd love to see where they would go w/ it if getting their feet wet was made approachable ...

i might make a little space in the glogs area and see if i can't stir up some action around DIY garden control systems etc ...
sicman said:
Yo grant. I have two horses. Hook a brother up with a drone ill be a tester for you.

Ya. Ive seen all kinds of videos.  

They for sure can be usefull. But there needs to be VERY stiff penalties for the abuse of one. Gov. and Civ.

I hate drones.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em ...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415664304.859515.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415667757.448550.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415667824.186253.jpg

LOL.

Back