• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fatalii mustard

I've been wanting to try making my own mustard for a while, so googled some recipes and gave it a try. First attempt didn't taste like mustard at all, so tried a different recipe for this one. Just finished processing it, and it came out great! I used this recipe-
1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown mustard seeds (about 1 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds (about 1 1/2 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine all ingredients in a non reactive bowl, cover and let sit at room temp for 2 days. After 2 days, transfer to a blender and blend to desired consistency. I added 3 fatalii's to the mix when transferring to the blender, though I think next time I might add a few more. Flavour is great, with a small amount of heat and fatalii flavour coming through.
Heading for blending-
20141111_175238.jpg

After blending and transferring to a sterilized jar-
20141111_175724.jpg

wayright said:
Looks incredible!
Were the 3 Fatalii enough?

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! The 3 fatalii were enough for my wife, not enough for me though. May have to do 2 batches next time and add some yellow 7's to mine to kick it up a bit.

rory said:
Looks great, well done might have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing
Thanks Rory! And no problem. It's definitely a lot easier than I'd originally thought it would be.

Thanks all! Like I stated, this is a great heat level for my wife, who just is not into super spicy food at all. For those who like crazy heat, hotter peppers or more fatalii's may be in order. Can't say how they'll effect the flavour though, as I've only tried with fatalii so far, and the fatalii flavour really seems to work well with this recipe.

wayright said:
Stick with what you like Meat!,,and more importantly what your wife likes  ;)

I made a Margarita mustard with Tequila and Granma ,,Agave nectar,,Yellow Bouquet,,I used like 100 of them,,,,turned out a bit hotter than I wanted! 
Even mild peppers will be hot as hell if we use too many

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. Will be keeping this recipe for the better half for sure. Got plenty of peppers in the freezer, so have plenty of room for experimentation for myself. If it's too hot, just keep it for when I feel like torturing myself! Lol.

JayT said:
I love fatalii mustard!  Great job.
Thanks JayT! My first effort was an epic fail, had no mustard taste at all. Love this one though. Can't wait to refine it more. I've got no doubt I've still got a long way to go before closing in on some of the masters on here.

Hawaiianero said:
Wow awesome!! How easy is it to get mustard seeds? I never even thought about homemade mustard before but always wanted something better than grey poop-on.
I hadn't looked at all until recently, and when I was ready the first place I looked was where I work (Whole Foods). Should be pretty easy to find in most grocery stores though. 

Back