• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone?? Can you name this Chili??

This plant has been growing in my yard for about a year and a half. I didnt plant it. It started growing and I just let it grow. All I do is water it. It has grown to over 6 feet tall. It gets little white flowers on it before it grows the chilis. The Chilis are green with a few that have turned red. They are only about a half inch long and they grow upright. My husband tried one and he said it was the hottest he ever tried. And he likes hot stuff. I took it to work to two guys I work with who are Mexican and they said no way were they trying it. But they didnt know what they were called but they knew they were HOT!! If anyone can identify these for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Thank you so much, I have been trying to find it for a couple days now on the internet with no avail!! Can you tell me how to prune this bush. It is over 6 feet tall and the weight of all the chilis is causing it to bend. Once the chilis have rippened I would like to trim it back without killing it.

Cahlua said:
Thank you so much, I have been trying to find it for a couple days now on the internet with no avail!! Can you tell me how to prune this bush. It is over 6 feet tall and the weight of all the chilis is causing it to bend. Once the chilis have rippened I would like to trim it back without killing it.
You want to trim a 6ft pepper plant?! I would never do such a thing. Too much respect for a plant of that magnitude. :rolleyes:

You can cut it way back without killing it and new shoots will develop. It all depends on the shape you are looking for.

LOL why is it something you didnt plant and dont nurture takes off like a wild flower, but when you plant something that you really want to strive it dies or gets diseased. I love the pequin chili, Thank you all for identifying it for me, that's why I havent taken it out. It has hundreds of chilis on it. I dont want the plant to snap cause of the weight of the chilies and the branches. I have it proped up right now with a garden tool so it wont snap. I'm sure if I cut it back it will grow huge again, at least I hope!! The base of the plant is pretty thick.

Pick those peppers! :)

that large and that much fruit..good lord...why do I live here.
That last pic just kills me....so many peppers....

if i lived next door i would be your best friend,that plant..sorry tree is amazing..think of the sauces/powders/pickling of all those chilis wow :)

If you want, pick the pequins that are ripe, dry them and make powder out of them for your rubs and other spices.

The pequin, as you know has an immediate harsh "front burn" that hits the lips too but it goes away pretty quickly...

I use the pequins to get that front burn then mix in orange habs and orange thais...the orange habs give more of a back burn while the orange thais give a middle mouth burn...JMO...

I have 3 Pequins (NuMex Bailey Pequins) and 6 tepins growing...if the dang Mockingbirds would quit eating the "bird peppers" I may be able to get some fruit...the front burn part is why I am growing them this year...

AlabamaJack said:
The pequin, as you know has an immediate harsh "front burn" that hits the lips too but it goes away pretty quickly...

It looks like a piquin to me, too.

In Mexico, the flavor of piquin and tepin is described as "arrebatado", which means "although it is extremely hot the sensation dissappears easily and rapidly."

Pequin Pepper

I have to laugh when I read the posts. I can't believe it myself that this tree/bush is over 7 feet tall. Aren't these type of chilis only suppose to get 3 feet tall?? And just think...I didnt even plant the thing, it just started growing one day and hasnt stopped yet. The thing is taller then my 6 foot fence. LOL I don't get it, but I love seeing the posts everyone puts up saying how unbelievable this thing is. Does anyone else have one of these plants as tall as this one is growing?? Or has anyone ever heard or seen one this big??

The largest pepper plant ever recorded is a pequin at 16 ft. I had one about 6ft tall but this year its shorter and bushier. I know Passow had a tall pequin too

I had one about 7-8 tall and hundreds of peppers -- peppers are very tasty and seemed to get hotter as the summer progressed as well -- I dried them and powdered them in place of that crushed red pepper you find in pizza places -- they do get very hot -- can you tie it to a 6 ft green fencing poles?

Pequin Pepper

Hi Everyone,
It has been quite a few months since I have last chatted with you all, hope everyone is happy and healthy. I have a question about my never ending fruiting tree(bush)!! You all have seen the pictures of my pepper bush, it is almost into December and this thing is still growing flowers and still producing a bunch of pepper. Does it not go into a dormant stage? Or does it produce all year round!! I am still in amazement that I didn't even plant this thing and it has brought joy to many pepper lovers I have around me, cause they get them all for free. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving! :whistle:

Back