• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

SQUASH base

Anyone use butternut or acorn squash as a sauce base?
I was reading some other OT recipes and something screamed "hot sauce" about half way into it.
I grill off both pretty regular as a side for alot of pork pieces,that flavor would be very good in a sauce
as long as it doesnt get lost with to much other crap.
I think the acorn is a bit sweeter overall so my interest would be inclined to focus on the butternut varity

Yall take it from here . . . .

Funny... I just started making a sauce with butternut squash last night. It seems good so far, but needs more garlic and a few other things that I ran out of. I plan to add to it tonight and re-cook and can it. I've used pumpkin in the past too with good results.

TNKS said:
I think the acorn is a bit sweeter overall so my interest would be inclined to focus on the butternut varity

Interesting - - - in my perception butternut is a bit sweeter. Or maybe the better term is full-bodied. I definitely perceive acorn as milder-flavored than butternut. 

TNKS said:
Did you roast off the squash first? thats the flavor I want to retain in a sauce

Yep. And the garlic and onions.  

On a side note, I found my new favorite butternut-type squash to grow this past season. It's called Sweet Greek Red, and it's dee-licious (that's what I used in the sauce). It did better than the other varieties I grew as well.

Im limited on my choices of squash in west Texas and generally have to shop at Walmart for whatever they have
In these parts its generally just yellow squash(which I love too) and is in the near future for a sauce attempt as well

Carrots,Carrots and more carrots LOL!
Time to break away I say . . . .
Sauces in general are getting redundant IMO,I mean really now just think about it
Your base is your sauce,the rest is just fluff so to speak and its easily proven with almost every sauce out there
Well passed time to spin off and crank up some righteous "different" if you catch the drift?

Agreed. I'm a newbie to growing peppers and making sauce this year. In the beginning I was using half bell peppers and half hot peppers. Now I'm leaving the bell peppers out of my sauces. I've tried most of the fruit combinations. So my next batch I will try some butternut squash. 

Carrot is so "yesterday"...

Oh Wait!  you did that yesterday, so you are so totally With It:lol: 

I'm jesting a bit only because a few years ago everyone was totally wacked out about the idea of carrots in a hot sauce.  Now there are whole sauce companies based on carrot-based sauces.  Squash is similar but different from carrots.  Share a lot of similar qualities, including the "what the hey? there's SQUASH in that sauce?" attitude. 

Squash-based sauce companies....yep...totally going there!

Not ME!  But others for sure.....

I haven't done any with Butternut or Acorn Squash yet but it's in the plans. I have a Pumpkin sauce that I do annually that's one of the most requested sauces I make, ask romy6 :)  I agree that the Butternut would be the one to go with or even a combination of Butternut and Acorn. Acorn alone i think would get lost in the mix.

Cheers,
RM

Most are now made with Tomatillo and or Nopalitos(or both)
I dont think there is a retail sauce available for this old Mayan recipe

Hawaiianero said:
I read somewhere that a key ingredient to authentic mexican hot sauces is chayote squash. If picked young enough it can have a slight sweetness to it. Now I just gotta find those recipes again.

I have been thinking of doing another ferment.  Squash might be nice to try as a different base.  I will have to take a look at the Asian market to see what odd types they might have to try.

-Alden

Hawaiianero said:
I read somewhere that a key ingredient to authentic mexican hot sauces is chayote squash. If picked young enough it can have a slight sweetness to it. Now I just gotta find those recipes again.

How coincidental!  Yesterday, I bought some chayote at the local farmer's market and didn't know anything about it.  The guy said that he just peels it, cuts it into cubes and stir fries it with other veggies and that it cooks up similarly to potato.  Next week, I'm buying more to make a sauce out of.  That is, if I like it.  ;)

not much flavor to it,its an edible food filler in traditional peasant style cooking
Yucca has more flavor which isnt much,good sauce filler

It was a left coast vegan craze item awhile back,not sure if it held on or not?

Kato Baggins said:

How coincidental!  Yesterday, I bought some chayote at the local farmer's market and didn't know anything about it.  The guy said that he just peels it, cuts it into cubes and stir fries it with other veggies and that it cooks up similarly to potato.  Next week, I'm buying more to make a sauce out of.  That is, if I like it.   ;)
As far as eating, it is kinda bland but able to soak up the flavors of whatever you cook it with. It pickles very nicely and maintains its crispness as long as you don't hot water bath it for storing. I'm sure it will add a lot of texture to whatever sauce you make but it could easily turn into paste if you put too much.

Back