• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Options for winter ferments

I'm in an area of northern Cali farm land right on the Delta.  Crops are mostly table corn, tomatoes, and mild peppers.  I visited the local farmer's market at the end of the season and it was all green chili's.  A couple local big box grocery markets had some red fresnos and red jalapenos for a very brief period and that was it.  There are always the common green varieties available through the winter (probably coming from South America) but why not the red varieties?  Shelf life?  Demand?  I've got enough green sauce to last the winter and was hoping to figure out something else to ferment.  One store always has habs but I need a recipe idea that would make the sauce more "approachable" as 100% hab would be too much heat for this chili-head in training.  Anybody ever mix Hungarian wax with habs?  

I know the answer is to grow my own and freeze.  Maybe I'll embark on this next spring, however I'm not much of a green thumb.  

Shortbus super hots are easy to grow.I just start growing them this year.The biggest thing is not to overwater them.Damp off takes young plants out.Other then that,they take care of their self.Maybe a little watering here and there.I really don't know much on ferments other then what I have read here.

shortbus said:
I'm in an area of northern Cali farm land right on the Delta.  Crops are mostly table corn, tomatoes, and mild peppers.  I visited the local farmer's market at the end of the season and it was all green chili's.  A couple local big box grocery markets had some red fresnos and red jalapenos for a very brief period and that was it.  There are always the common green varieties available through the winter (probably coming from South America) but why not the red varieties?  Shelf life?  Demand?  I've got enough green sauce to last the winter and was hoping to figure out something else to ferment.  One store always has habs but I need a recipe idea that would make the sauce more "approachable" as 100% hab would be too much heat for this chili-head in training.  Anybody ever mix Hungarian wax with habs?  

I know the answer is to grow my own and freeze.  Maybe I'll embark on this next spring, however I'm not much of a green thumb.
try out fermenting 101 in hot sauce forum tons of info. Top of my head try red bells tomatoes,garlic,onion,carrots. Riesling for brine salt and do your thing makes a nice medium heat sauce just adjust habs to your heat level. Just poke around tons of recipes and a wealth of information and the best people you could hope to meet. Hope this helps and welcome aboard fellow chili head :)

Back