• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Best way to freeze peppers?

What is the best way to freeze whole pods? I have had pods that were frozen one time that I got at the store but when they thawed they were soft a mushy... Is there anyways around this?

Well poo, thanks anyways guys.  So I have some peppers I want my family to try on thanksgiving but its a week away and I fear these peppers wont last that long.  Any other ideas?

And for longer term storage (other than drying) - Run them through a food processor stemmed and seeded (optional), fill freezer bags to about an inch thick, store flat in freezer, break off chunks of frozen peppers as needed. Takes up much less space, and insta-peppers are super convenient.

agreed.gif
, I like mecdave's solution

Alright thanks everyone I will give it a shot on the vacuum fridge method. I'll also cut and freeze what I don't take as well. Thanks again!

mecdave said:
And for longer term storage (other than drying) - Run them through a food processor stemmed and seeded (optional), fill freezer bags to about an inch thick, store flat in freezer, break off chunks of frozen peppers as needed. Takes up much less space, and insta-peppers are super convenient.

Could you pour this into ice cube trays and freeze and then put the cubes in freezer bags?

winland said:

Could you pour this into ice cube trays and freeze and then put the cubes in freezer bags?
I don't see why not, though I give my peppers a coarser blend. You would probably need to add a bit of liquid (like vinegar) to get them smooth enough to pour.

I just whack the frozen package flat on the counter or cutting board to break them up into chunks.

PS Freezing peppers this way isn't my idea. I found it on a pepper website awhile back. Just can't remember which one.

Just remember once you FREEZE a pepper...the cell structure of the walls collapse.  Not worth a damn, IMO,  for true fresh texture and taste to the palette, but ok for sauces and such.

can a frozen pepper be thawed, smoked then dehydrated ? 

if so how do they taste compared to a fresh pepper smoked and dehydrated. thanks !

Back