• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

seeds or no seeds

I'm loving the consistency of my sauce not strained but the seeds can pose a slight problem. I would love to not have to deseed all the peppers before using them so  anybody have any tips to eliminating them from the final sauce. I've noticed that a lot of them sink....

so i'm assuming you'd be opposed to a high speed blender or food processor to break down the seeds and probably make your sauce a bit thinner? Sounds like you like it chunky rather than smooth

Just de seed part of your peppers if the issue is not having seeds in your sauce just having to many. That way you. Can keep sauce at the consistency you like. Or strain thru China's or food mill as suggested food mill does usually have 3 milling sizes the largest will remove some seeds and leave a chunkier finished product.

I leave the seeds in during the ferment then during processing I use a wire mesh strainer and press it through with a silicon spatchula. That gives me a nice smooth sauce and removes the seeds and skins and hard bits which can be dried and turned into a powder. Looking for a Food Mill now.

I left the seeds in for the heat.  I ran final ferment through my Vitamix, and there is nothing left of the seeds or skins. If I didn't have a Vitamix, I'd probably use a food mill.

I always deseed if its a habanero or a hottie.. then blend to a puree' before a couple years mash... In some milder mashes i have left a few seeds in order to bring the heat up a bit.

I'm a fan of smooth sauces myself.  I start all my sauces with seeds in them, use an immersion blender to smooth it out as much as possible, and push the sauce through a metal sieve with a spatula to pull out the bigger bits.  I've tried food mills, but they either let too many seeds or not enough pulp through.  I also wrap the left over seeds and pulp from the sieve with cheese cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible back into the sauce.

I also like running the leftover seeds and pulp through a dehydrator and grind for powders.  These make really wonderful complex powders

turbo said:
I'm a fan of smooth sauces myself.  I start all my sauces with seeds in them, use an immersion blender to smooth it out as much as possible, and push the sauce through a metal sieve with a spatula to pull out the bigger bits.  I've tried food mills, but they either let too many seeds or not enough pulp through.  I also wrap the left over seeds and pulp from the sieve with cheese cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible back into the sauce.

I also like running the leftover seeds and pulp through a dehydrator and grind for powders.  These make really wonderful complex powders
I do the same, after trying lot of things I found this to be the best solution.

I don't want seeds in my sauce because I don't like the texture. This way you get almost all heat and not much waist, just seeds and some skin. Cooking the pepper in the sauce before passing them in the food mill seems to be the trick.

Back