• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhut Jolokia-Attempt 2

Trying this out again, I recently tried growing ghost peppers for the first time. I had one out of four germinate using the in-soil method. Then about a week later it died. This time i tried the wet paper towel method for germinating with more success. This time ill try using florescent lamps to get the seedling going instead of a sunny window sill. We'll see how it goes this time. 

Update- Well looks like plant #2 has died. Good news is i have successful 4/4 germination in my other seeds. I think ill wait until they grow more until planting them this time. Ill see how that works. Not sure what im doing wrong.

RedF said:
  Trying this out again, I recently tried growing ghost peppers for the first time. I had one out of four germinate using the in-soil method. Then about a week later it died. This time i tried the wet paper towel method for germinating with more success. This time ill try using florescent lamps to get the seedling going instead of a sunny window sill. We'll see how it goes this time. 

Goodluck my man!! Im sure youll do great!

Best of luck.I just put mine in a cut in half coke bottle with some hole in the bottom.Maybe,about 4 to 5 inches tall.That was my first time it worked well for me.Just be careful of damp off.I don't know if it was damp off that killed your plant.Don't over water it,less is more.

Good luck man.

I understand you have a hard time germinating the seeds.

simple way:  put the seed on the top of the pot, cover with 2-4mm dirt , spray it with water and leave it in a warm place for 7 days.

pepperguy1 said:
Best of luck.I just put mine in a cut in half coke bottle with some hole in the bottom.Maybe,about 4 to 5 inches tall.That was my first time it worked well for me.Just be careful of damp off.I don't know if it was damp off that killed your plant.Don't over water it,less is more.
I dont know if it was. I watered it about every 2 days, but every time i checked the soil it was completely dry after about a day.

Keep a eye on the stem.Did it fall over? Keep water away form the stem.I used a miracle grow and let it dry out a little. Watered lightly.Peppers don't like a lot of water just starting out.They can handle it better when they are bigger.

blitz said:
Good luck man.

I understand you have a hard time germinating the seeds.

simple way:  put the seed on the top of the pot, cover with 2-4mm dirt , spray it with water and leave it in a warm place for 7 days.
Germinating isnt the problem. Its once they sprout is where the problem comes in. They seem to be fine for about a week and then they shrivel up and die all of a sudden.

RedF said:
Germinating isnt the problem. Its once they sprout is where the problem comes in. They seem to be fine for about a week and then they shrivel up and die all of a sudden.

Alright I see.
If the seed germinates it means that the seedling has all the potential to grow.

Try to keep the grow area temperature around 25C and the humidity not above 55%.
Use a fan to keep the air circulating.

I am growing two varieties of Bhuts right now, Orange and Choco. They both do great under these conditions.
Its day 54 for them and they  have flowers on them.

Also make sure you dont over water them. Seedlings cant handle overwatering well, but dont let the soil dry.

I am sure you know all of these, but some times people forget because of the everyday stress :)

blitz said:

Alright I see.
If the seed germinates it means that the seedling has all the potential to grow.

Try to keep the grow area temperature around 25C and the humidity not above 55%.
Use a fan to keep the air circulating.

I am growing two varieties of Bhuts right now, Orange and Choco. They both do great under these conditions.
Its day 54 for them and they  have flowers on them.

Also make sure you dont over water them. Seedlings cant handle overwatering well, but dont let the soil dry.

I am sure you know all of these, but some times people forget because of the everyday stress :)
hmm, i see. Well the first time, i used just peat moss mixed with compost and it would dry out extremely quickly. Im talking a day or even less. but i find so much conflicting advice on the internet. Everybody says something different, so its hard to know for sure what to do. One person said to let the soil dry out a little before watering again to encourage root growth. So i would water about once a day, while letting the soil dry out a little. Ive tried a sunny window sill and ive tried florescent and both times they died. The temperature is probably around 80 degrees and im not sure about the humidity but they were kept indoors.

This time, i tried the wet paper towel method for germination with 100% success. I let them germinate to where they have grow stocks about 1/4 inch but have not formed cotyledons yet. I stuck them about 1/2 inch below the surface in my potting which ive now mixed with a little bit of soil along with the peat and compost just so it doesnt dry out so quickly.  And now im hoping for the best.

RedF said:
hmm, i see. Well the first time, i used just peat moss mixed with compost and it would dry out extremely quickly. Im talking a day or even less. but i find so much conflicting advice on the internet. Everybody says something different, so its hard to know for sure what to do. One person said to let the soil dry out a little before watering again to encourage root growth. So i would water about once a day, while letting the soil dry out a little. Ive tried a sunny window sill and ive tried florescent and both times they died. The temperature is probably around 80 degrees and im not sure about the humidity but they were kept indoors.

This time, i tried the wet paper towel method for germination with 100% success. I let them germinate to where they have grow stocks about 1/4 inch but have not formed cotyledons yet. I stuck them about 1/2 inch below the surface in my potting which ive now mixed with a little bit of soil along with the peat and compost just so it doesnt dry out so quickly.  And now im hoping for the best.

Yes, its true. You will hear many different opinions about the same subject. This is because there many ways to do it but what I told you is from my personal experience.
As a matter of fact all the seedlings require stable growing conditions. This is why many people  provide to the plants artificial lighting and not window sun.
Best conditions happen in controlled environments such as growing tents. The choice is yours. As for the growing medium don't worry much until you transplant the seedlings.

blitz said:

Yes, its true. You will hear many different opinions about the same subject. This is because there many ways to do it but what I told you is from my personal experience.
As a matter of fact all the seedlings require stable growing conditions. This is why many people  provide to the plants artificial lighting and not window sun.
Best conditions happen in controlled environments such as growing tents. The choice is yours. As for the growing medium don't worry much until you transplant the seedlings.
So you recommend florescent lights over sunny window?
afr0n0me said:
you can keep them in the paper towel untill they form colys and shed the shell, thats what i do.
I thought thats what would happen. but i had them in there for a week and they just kept growing longer and longer stalks without forming colys, i was afraid they would get too leggy so i buried them. I have one that just sprouted beautifully today.

RedF said:
So you recommend florescent lights over sunny window?

I thought thats what would happen. but i had them in there for a week and they just kept growing longer and longer stalks without forming colys, i was afraid they would get too leggy so i buried them. I have one that just sprouted beautifully today.

Window sun sometimes proves to be good and I have seen people growing peppers this way.
Now it depends how many hours per day the plant will receive sun light.
It depends where is the window placed, north side of the house? west side?
It also depends on the Climate the weather of the day and the season.
Too many factors to be aware of. This is why I prefer artificial light.

If you decide to provide CFL lights for the growing stage of your plants, it would be good if you chose cold lights in the range of 6300-6500 Kelvin.

http://www.hydroponics.eu/cfl-grow-light-s-297.html
https://www.hydrofarm.com/catalog/category/fluorescent-lighting

I never bought from these shops so I cant vouch for them, but reading the description of the products will give you an idea.
Although I personally prefer HPS lamps.

blitz said:

Window sun sometimes proves to be good and I have seen people growing peppers this way.
Now it depends how many hours per day the plant will receive sun light.
It depends where is the window placed, north side of the house? west side?
It also depends on the Climate the weather of the day and the season.
Too many factors to be aware of. This is why I prefer artificial light.

If you decide to provide CFL lights for the growing stage of your plants, it would be good if you chose cold lights in the range of 6300-6500 Kelvin.

http://www.hydroponics.eu/cfl-grow-light-s-297.html
https://www.hydrofarm.com/catalog/category/fluorescent-lighting

I never bought from these shops so I cant vouch for them, but reading the description of the products will give you an idea.
Although I personally prefer HPS lamps.
Thanks, I use a fluorescent desk lamp, which seems to be working well so far with my plants that have sprouted. Im not sure how cool they are though,but they dont seem like they give off a lot of heat.

RedF said:
Thanks, I use a fluorescent desk lamp, which seems to be working well so far with my plants that have sprouted. Im not sure how cool they are though,but they dont seem like they give off a lot of heat.

Seedlings younger than 2 weeks old will be fine with a desk CFL.

Ideal lighting is 400 Watt per square meter. For your 4 plants I would use at least 100Watt.

Plants need sunlight to grow. We are trying to imitate the outdoors conditions inside when we grow indoors.

Chilima said:
If you use JUST ONE lamp ... well you gonna have a bad time soon :(

blitz said:

Seedlings younger than 2 weeks old will be fine with a desk CFL.

Ideal lighting is 400 Watt per square meter. For your 4 plants I would use at least 100Watt.

Plants need sunlight to grow. We are trying to imitate the outdoors conditions inside when we grow indoors.
Im only starting them indoors, so it should be enough. Once they mature a little, i will harden them off and eventually leave them outside. In South florida, it stays warm throughout December and January with only a few cold fronts here and there.

Peppers need quite a bit of light, even as seedlings. The soil needs to stay damp, but not wet. Definitely do not over or under water though, kills off a seedling pretty quickly.

After 3 or 4 weeks they are quite a bit easier to take care of, and only get easier as they get bigger, because they can tolerate more abuse with an established root system.

After I switched to 4-bulb T5 HO's (6500k bulbs) I've had much better success. Plants are much more vigorous from the get-go, and no weak/leggy or stretched out stems.

After a month to 6 weeks indoors, I take them out to the greenhouse because they will then be in bigger (4") pots and be able to handle temperature fluctuation.

This year I started all of my seeds with a microbial inoculation which seemed to work well. I do an inoculation when I change pots as well.

Back