• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Just joined and looking for some advice

This will be my first time at making a Hot sauce . On a whim I picked up 6 Bhut Jolokia and 2 Trinadad Scorpion from a local food show from a local grower . Id like to make a hot sauce to use on some wings .  

What would be a good sauce base ? Is it okay to add some habanero for more substance ?

I know these peppers are extremely hot as Ive played with the dried versions in some Chili recipes recently .  

i dont want to let them go to waste so I'd like to make the sauce tomorrow and can go to the market to get some fresh habs if i need to . 

There's many ways one can approach wings and sauce. You could do the traditional buffalo style or you can have them on a grill / oven with sauce and glaze them. If you want buffalo wings, take 1/2 cup of hot sauce (vinegar based) and 4tbs of butter and 1tbs of molasses into a pot, mix together and then shake it with your wings (fried/oven etc). For the sauce itself, there's a huge variety of recipes you can use. Explore the forums (or internet) for a recipe that peaks your interest with flavors you'd enjoy. I made a papaya sauce with a smoked peach bhut (1 seeded/ribbed was enough for me). This is more of a caribbean sauce and is good ontop of chicken, but you could even bbq it and use it as a marinade / glaze. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51644-papaya-smoked-peach-bhut-sauce/ 

Essentially, onions, peppers, vinegar and salt is the base for most sauces. Lots of people here ferment but I have yet to get into that, but that's another route you can take. As for your habanero, do what you wish according to your heat tolerance. Habaneros have a nice taste to it and adds some good depth to the flavor so it's totally up to you

BadWolfLi225 said:
            This will be my first time at making a Hot sauce . On a whim I picked up 6 Bhut Jolokia and 2 Trinadad Scorpion from a local food show from a local grower . Id like to make a hot sauce to use on some wings .  

What would be a good sauce base ? Is it okay to add some habanero for more substance ?

I know these peppers are extremely hot as Ive played with the dried versions in some Chili recipes recently .  

i dont want to let them go to waste so I'd like to make the sauce tomorrow and can go to the market to get some fresh habs if i need to . 

Welcome to THP BadWolf!  You can always pick up some Frank's or other such hot sauce and add your peppers to it.  Bring to a simmer and cook the peppers for a bit - say 20 mins or so, then blend it up real good.  Mixed with a bit of butter it will be fine for wings on short notice.  Note - watch the fumes while cooking!

Welcome to THP, BadWolf!

PepperFool.com has a ton of recipes.  If you don't want the sauce quite so hot, add more filler ingredients including yellow, red or orange bell peppers...depending on the color of the habs or other chiles you are using. 

Just reading through the recipes will give you a good idea of sauce recipe basics.  From there you can tweak it to what you have and what you like. 

Have Fun!
salsalady

Never put molasses in Buffalo wing sauce that would make it BBQ sauce :) you should also add garlic powder and a little honey or sugar to take off that vinegar edge otherwise BigB gotcha covered! A popular trick I've seen at anchor bar is mix in some cinnamon gives them a unique characteristic.
CHEERS

oldsalty said:
Never put molasses in Buffalo wing sauce that would make it BBQ sauce :)
CHEERS
Try it out once, use some franks red's and the recipe I said. You'd be surprised how good it tastes, this is from cook's country by america's test kitchen

SmokenFire said:
Welcome to THP BadWolf!  You can always pick up some Frank's or other such hot sauce and add your peppers to it.  Bring to a simmer and cook the peppers for a bit - say 20 mins or so, then blend it up real good.  Mixed with a bit of butter it will be fine for wings on short notice.  Note - watch the fumes while cooking!
SmokenFire has got this covered, Franks is the best and easiest base to find. If you've got time you can order sauce directly from the anchor bar its the bomb!!!!!!
BigB said:
Try it out once, use some franks red's and the recipe I said. You'd be surprised how good it tastes, this is from cook's country by america's test kitchen
I hear ya brother I love America's test kitchen guy with the bow tie is a riot!! Not doubting you brother just saying if yer looking for traditional but ill giver a go. :)

BadWolfLi225 said:
Found some awesome recipes on that website.

All the recipes on that site aren't necessarily shelf-safe, so be sure to check your pH or keep in the fridge and use within 2-4 weeks.

And :welcome:  to THP! You'll like it here.

Back