• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Aussie's 2014-2015

A lazy 38 °C late spring day in Canberra feels like a good one to make a start on a glog! This is my 5th season of more serious pepper growing,. since the addiction really took hold.

This year I will put more peppers in the ground, and keep less in pots. Everything still growing in pots at the moment - Canberra suffers ground frosts as late as early November. 

I overwintered a lot of plants, because I started lots of Chinenses too late last season and wanted an early start this season. It is paying off. We will have ripe Chinense pods for Christmas this year! 

I am growing a lot not only for fun but also to figure out 2 things: 
1. Which peppers we like the most (although I am thwarted by a constantly evolving preference)
2. Which peppers are best suited to the climate and conditions here.

So far the main contenders are: the bhuts, choc hab and Bahamian goat. 

Here is my grow list for 2014-2015. Suggestions and comments very welcome. I will post pics soon.

Overwinters
Chinense
7-Pot Jonah Yellow (Semillas)
Nagalah (Semillas)
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (JR)
Douglah (Semillas)
Bhut Jolokia Assam (JR)
7-pot Jonah 2009 (from Butch T)
Moruga Yellow (Semillas)
Bhut Jolokia Red (PL)
Bhut Jolokia India Carbon (JR)
H2PPB (Semillas)
7-Pot Original Yellow (Semillas)
Bhut Jolokia Red (Semillas strain 1)
Bhut Jolokia Red (Semillas strain 2)
Naga Viper (Semillas)
7-Pot Barrackpore (Semillas)
Bing Bang Choc Naga (Semillas)
Butch T MS Strain (from Butch T)
Primo Orange (Semillas)
Bhut Jolokia Yellow (Semillas)
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (Semillas)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (JR)
Choc Hab (Chili Factory)
Annuum
Sante Fe Grande
Hungarian Hot Wax
Giant Jalapeno (PL)
Cayenne (Bonchi)
Pubescens
Giant Rocoto x 3 (Semillas)
Brown Rocoto (Semillas)
Canario
Red Manzano
Baccatum
Kaleidoscope (Semillas)

New Starts For 2014
Our own hybrids
Giant (F) x Brown (M) F1 hybrid Rocoto
Chinese 5 colour (f) x Joe E Parker (m)
Chinese 5 colour (f) x Jimmy Nardello (m)
Chinese 5 colour (f) x pimenta de Neyde (m)
Chinense
Bahamian Goat (JR)
Jonah (Semillas)
Jonah (from non-isolated seed)
Bhut Jolokia White (PL)
7 Pot White (PL)
Brain strain red (PL)
TS Large (PL)
7 Pod Congo SR gigantic (PL)
7 pot primo red (PL)
TS yellow cardi (Semillas)
7 pot Chaguanas (PL)
Bhut Jolokia Peach SS (PL)
Peach Congo (PL)
Jonah’s Yellow Brain (PL)
Annuum
Albanian red hot (PL)
Farmer’s jalapeno (PL)
Tomato Pepper (PL)
Palmyra (PL)
Cinnamon Bell (PL)
Bell of Golu (PL)
Billy Biker (from Bob_B)
Baccatum
Aji habanero (PL)
Aji Amarillo (PL)
Dulce Sol (PL)
Still waiting to pop:
Giant Mexican rocoto (PL)
White Naga (PL)
Sukari (PL)

OK, a few photos of unripe pods and new hybrid plants. 

Chinese 5 colour (f) x Joe E Parker (m) F1 hybrid developing pods. Have successfully self-pollinated a couple of pods and hope to get to F2 this season. Working towards for a plant big, tasty, multicoloured peppers. 

Chinese 5 colour (f) x pimenta de Neyde (m) F1 hybrid plant. No pods have taken. Perhaps a sterile annuum-chinense hybrid?

Comparison of the two F1 hybrid plants from above. Check out the much darker coloration from the PDN hybrid.

Bahamian Goat

Choc Hab

Choc Bhut

Thanks for dropping by!

Huge list! Looks good. I didn't think you would be able to have seeds posted from semillas.de into Aus. When I visited they were so strict about what could be brought in, they asked me if I had been walking in any fields in the shoes I was wearing!

Chocolate habs look awesome!  I need to try one of those...tough up here to find fresh anything though

Thanks guys! 

PaulS said:
Huge list! Looks good. I didn't think you would be able to have seeds posted from semillas.de into Aus. When I visited they were so strict about what could be brought in, they asked me if I had been walking in any fields in the shoes I was wearing!

With the dirt on the shoes, they're worried about certain diseases being carried here and they usually ask about visiting a farms (Australia is still free of foot and mouth disease, for example). There are strict rules about importation of seed, too. I guess that some seed occasionally sneak through... 

Here is a pic of mama for the F1 hybrid plants from last year, a Chinese 5 colour. 

I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that the F1 pods did not start off purple, as they do with the mother plant. The F1 pods start off green and turn black in the sun. Hoping for a quick ripening so that we can get the hand-pollinated F2 generation off to a start before the end of the year. 

Thanks Devv! The Chinese 5 colour is a beautiful plant. Grew it in a 200 mm pot last year. I don't know how big it would get with unlimited root space.

Time for a photo update. Most overwinters podding up nicely. Here are some pics taken today.

Primo orange (Semillas)

Moruga yellow (Semillas)

Giant rococo (Semillas)

Crazy double red bhut (PL)

First reaper of the season (Semillas)

Farmer's market Jalapeño seedling, looking hairy.

Thanks for the bump, Paul. A few more photos from today. 

Jonah yellow

Giant rocoto detail

Barrackpore

Yellow bhut

Giant x brown rocoto F1 hybrid flower. Looks like a cross between the giant flower and the brown flower (duh!)

When you know you have a problem. Here is the view from my back door (you can only see some of the plants from here)

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks guys! Here are some close ups of the rocoto hybrid flowers, along with the two parents.

Giant rocoto

F1 hybrid

brown rocoto

Will be a month or two before we have ripe F1 pods, I guess.

Ever wondered what an F1 hybrid pod from a Chinese 5 colour (f) and a pimenta de Neyde (m) looks like? Wonder no more! Here it is, in all it's inch-long juvenile glory:

This is a surprisingly tall plant. Takes after Dad in this respect.

Any bets on whether we will see the Chinese 5 colour-type transition in colours?

Back