• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wasn't Ready for The Freeze

Any hope for peppers after being left out in freeze In North Florida that I wasn't prepared for. I did manage to move some to a porch,but most all leaves are falling or fell off. Some were young plants but most were 2-3 year old.
Any suggestions or just start over ...

The leaves that fell off.... did they have evidence of freeze damage? Did they look mushy and wilted before they fell off, or did they just fall off? If they didn't have evidence of freeze damage, it's possible you might be able to overwinter them, but the chances are slim. Depends on how long they were subjected to temps below freezing. Covering them with a sheet could have made all the difference in the world.

Cut them back and see if they start growing new leafs??  What I am doing to a few after my plants got hit by a frost that the weather people didn't say we where going to get. :(

Phil said:
The leaves that fell off.... did they have evidence of freeze damage? Did they look mushy and wilted before they fell off, or did they just fall off? If they didn't have evidence of freeze damage, it's possible you might be able to overwinter them, but the chances are slim. Depends on how long they were subjected to temps below freezing. Covering them with a sheet could have made all the difference in the world.
I had water running on the ones outside. Most leaves just fell off..
Hope to have green house done before next freeze, but think it might be too late.

What Phil said. Shock and freeze damage are two different things. If temps definitely got below freezing, leaf and stem tissue will lyse - no two ways about it. But if temps just got cold enough to really scare the plants, they might have just freaked out and lost all their leaves.
     A few years ago I was surprised by cold temps with my plants still outside. They lost all their leaves but I brought them in because the stems still seemed intact. Sure enough, in a few days I was seeing signs of life at the nodes. They grew up to be some real monster plants the next season.
     Keep an eye on them. If the nodes start to push new foliage, you're good. If the stems start to become brown and brittle, they're done. 

MoWhiskey said:
Any hope for peppers after being left out in freeze In North Florida that I wasn't prepared for. I did manage to move some to a porch,but most all leaves are falling or fell off. Some were young plants but most were 2-3 year old.
Any suggestions or just start over ...

I feel your pain brother,that freeze was something else.My were put up in time I hope.This is my first year grow super hots and overwintering them.I wish you the best of luck with your plants.We are going to be in for a long ride with out weather here. 

Back