• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Automatic feed extra fine strainer??

Just wondering if there is such a thing out there? I strained my sauces manually with basket strainers and its a chore when you have gallons of sauce. If you have a tip for straining sauces (extra fine) I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thanks

i have that same food mill.. its awesome. i make tomato paste with the smallest size screen, its a pita sorta... you have to go back and forth like 10 times to get the pulp semi dried out.

i think i misunderstood earlier tho. you are looking to strain out seeds and such,  not de water?

crank-crank-crank-reverse
(repeat-repeat-repeat-repeat etc etc etc etc......)  Yea, it is a bit of a chore to work all the product through the mill.  It works well, though. and is very affordable.  Often people can find food mills at garage and estate sales and thrift stores.  haven't checked fleaBay lately but I bet they show up there regularly. 

HEY!  look what I found!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-101-Foley-Food-Mill-Stainless-Steel-Grinder-Jam-Ricer-Strainer-Mash-/271677516707?pt=Kitchen_Tools_Gadgets&hash=item3f413deba3

:lol:  That's pretty much what I have.  Nothing wrong with vintage.  Just have to dry it well to keep the spring from rusting~ 

Thanks Salsalady but those holes look to big for what I want. Thanks Queequeg1. Not sure I can use one of those but it did give me an idea. Thinking about a panty hose filled with peppermash in a vacuum canister. 

how fine are you looking for?  what consistency?  Can you compare to a known sauce?  La Victoria is thicker than Tabasco and Tapatio....

Scoive and CJ just got a food will with the 3 different screens.  I haven't talked to them to see how fine the smallest screen. 

My food mill is a oxo has three different screen the finest one produce very thin water like consistency also kitchen aid blender have a nice seed and pulp extractor that I believe produces very thin sauce and you don't have to crank it. Downfall is you need the stand mixer :) check out there site lots of great stuff for sauce makers.

I have made tabasco-thin sauces with a hand crank food mill. Start with a thin sauce (plenty of liquid). Run it through the mill a few times, each time rinsing out the pulp, skin and seeds from mill screen. After 2-3 runs, you should end up with a consistency like red water. You can then cook it down a bit if you wish to re-thicken.

Food mills are quite versatile. You can make a thicker sauce (but without seeds), but running the liquid through the mill several times but leaving the pulp in the mill. Each pass forces more pulverized pulp through the mill.

Back