• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do you spell?

Chile - Latin America
Chili - America
Chilli - Britain

Weird, but I guess I have been known to use both chile and chili, without thinking.  Guess it depends on how my brain feels that particular instance lol

Have always used chile/chiles myself. Chili to me is the super awesome food that goes amazing with beer but even better with top shelf tequila

Chili . Served in a bowl with cheese and tortillas

Chile. A fruit (or vegetable) that grows on a plant.

So which is it, a fruit or a vegetable? LOLOL

Browning said:
Chile - Latin America
Chili - America
Chilli - Britain

Weird, but I guess I have been known to use both chile and chili, without thinking.  Guess it depends on how my brain feels that particular instance lol
In America, "chile" is a pod from a capsicum type of plant, while "chili" is a spicy type of stew. But yeah, at the end of the day if we all know what we're talking about, it's good!

geeme said:
..if we all know what we're talking about....
IF!
I asked the man at the customs postal office if he likes hot peppers. He told me: "Yes! I am eating those kind, chili!" Well, for sure he's having no idea what he talk about... I gave him some... Of course, only chupetinhos, lemon drops, serranos, stuff like this, because I still need him there ;)

Mejicanos, who grow many chiles, spell it chile.

In that chiles are all from South America where Spanish is the spoken, chile is the correct spelling.

Chili is the nasty gemish with beans from Tejas.

A Méjican mercado:

In that chiles are all from South America where Spanish is the spoken, chile is the correct spelling.

A Méjican mercado:

In that chiles are from South America where Spanish is spoken, ccile is the correct spelling.

A Méjican mercado:

Browning said:
Chile - Latin America
Chili - America
Chilli - Britain

Exactly!

Chile (pronounced chee lay) - Spanish spelling.
Ají - To some countries in S.A., Chile is a country, and Ají is a pepper.
Chili - English spelling.
Chilli - British English. How Australians spell it as you see here.

Also depends on mood for me. If I'm talking about something from a certain country I may use chile, but in general, chili, because that is correct English. I say chiliheads, not chileheads.

Using any spelling works, really.

Scoville DeVille said:
Chili . Served in a bowl with cheese and tortillas

Chile. A fruit (or vegetable) that grows on a plant.

So which is it, a fruit or a vegetable? LOLOL

The full name of the dish is Chili con Carne, meaning chili peppers with meat. So if you spell the meal chili, you should spell the pepper chili, because that's what it is referring to. ;)

For example, In Mexico there is also chile as a meal. Chile verde (green pork stew). ;)

Cool topic have always wondered about that though in this day and age we get spell check which/ witch can be problematic at times don't know how many times I take look back at a post a think I've lost my mind. Lol
And like geeme said we all know what were taking about anyway.
Now let's all go eat a chilly together!! :) snicker snicker.

willard3 said:

"NASTY"????? And it doesn't always have beans, btw. Still, willard, "nasty"???? I would think there is at least one version you would absolutely love, but perhaps you've had one bad experience and that's coloring your perception of all of them? Dunno - I know there are some I don't like, but I fix chili of one sort or another at least every other week. 

Just never use chilly, it means the opposite of what you mean!

:D

geeme said:
"NASTY"????? And it doesn't always have beans, btw. Still, willard, "nasty"???? I would think there is at least one version you would absolutely love, but perhaps you've had one bad experience and that's coloring your perception of all of them? Dunno - I know there are some I don't like, but I fix chili of one sort or another at least every other week.
Man you got that right brother I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't like chili/ chile/ chilli in my life. CRAZY MAN CRAZY :)

Back