• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Giant Yellow 7-Pot/Pear/Pineapple Pepper Sauce...12/9 Update

Right out of the box, I can only eat this in very small amounts on my cheese and crackers.  Very :hot:Aroma is a clash between the pears and the 7-pots.  The sauce is plenty sweet and fruity, but the heat is immediate, and shows no mercy to the top of my tongue.  Maybe I'm just a wimp, though. :shh:

THE PLAYERS:

25 Giant Yellow 7-Pots, chopped (seeds by romy6)
5 very ripe pears, chopped
1/2 brown onion, chopped
1 1/2 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. pineapple juice
3/4 C. acv
1/4 C. lime juice
2 TBLS honey
5 TBLS light brown sugar
1 TSP salt

Simmer.  Blend.  Strain, and simmer again.  Can it up.

YIELD: 4 pints

Peppers.  Don't ask about the red ones.  They somehow found their way into the yellow 7-pot bag.

Pile of fire.  The fumes were, uh, strong.

On the stove.

Fairly thick and smooth; not runny.

Lemondrop-Kalamata farm cheese, and sauce.

Happy Fall!

oldsalty said:
Wow great post roguejim that looks a sounds fantastic will definitely give this a try thanks. :)
Mixed with the cheese like that "boom" mind blown, do you make the cheese as well?
CHEERS

Glad you like it.  I would cut the 7-pots to half the amount, probably. 

Yes, I make the cheese.  Here's a video link below to the basic, and quick process.

~12 aji lemon drops
~9 kalamata olives
1 tsp salt
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
plus the ingredients in the video.  (I've never bothered with the olive oil)

After the cheese is drained/squeezed of its liquid, I mix in the rest of the ingredients.  The more liquid you squeeze out, the less spreadable the cheese will be.  Experiment with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TYvhgqDtQ

Roguejim said:
I just had this sauce again on some rice, and am now certain that I would reduce the number of 7-pots to around 6, maybe 8. That would be 1 1/2 to 2 pods per pint. I couldn't finish the rice for the heat.

I feel ya RJ!  Those pods go a loooooong way.  

I made this stuff 11/24, I think. I could barely touch it...too hot. Now, it's 12/9, and I'm eating it on chips! Either I'm toughening up, or the heat has subsided a bit. I like it. I'm thinking that maybe the hotter the sauce, the more time it might take to mellow a bit. It's still pretty wicked, though.

you're toughening up for sure rj ;)

I'm constantly keeping back one bottle of most anything I make to taste after 1 month, 2 months, 3 months..  They rarely get 'hotter' then when bottled, but almost always become more complex and developed with a bit of time.  The difference between 1 month and 2 months is significant, but not much difference between 2 mo and 3 mo stuff imo.

Back