• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

salads What is your Tuna Salad recipe?

My wife told me I was on my own for dinner tonight so it left me to come up with a last minute game plan. After starring at the fridge for 30 minutes trying to decide what to eat, it finally hit me to make a tuna sandwich. A plain old tuna sandwich with just mayo didn't sound good, so I went online for some ideas. Apparently there are a thousand ways to make a tuna salad and it took me a while to find a recipe to make with the ingredients that were available here at the house. Ideas were takin from a couple different recipes to make the final product. No pictures were taken because it was eaten beforehand so thought to at least share the recipe. I love tuna and would like you guys to share your tuna salad recipes.

Recipe:
2 cans 5oz tuna
2 hard boiled eggs
1 celery stick chopped
1 jalapeno chopped
1/4 onion chopped fine
7 tablespoons of Mayo
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
2 long dill pickles slices chopped (didn't have relish)
1 good squirt of mustard

That should be all but if something was left out I will edit later.

This is what I use, it is quite odd but tastes A-mazing

2 Cans drained tuna
2 Hard boiled eggs
chopped spring onions, when they ain't available i just use leek and cry
Salt and pepper to taste
Mayo, depending on the kind the amount varies, but I put some till the consistency is less than pasty
A teaspoon of soy sauce (the good kind)
Corn kernels (cooked)

Tuna
Onion
Celery
Fresh Dill
salt + Pepper
Mayo
touch of paprika

Pretty much any recipe listed I would eat but I dont care for raw onion unless they are very fresh!  I usually do a quick sautee on celery and onion in skillet with a little sunflower oil, just a couple minutes to release the oils and keep their crunch.  Let cool and add to tuna.

cheers

Mine is a lot like Grass Snake sans the mustard and instead of mayo I use miracle whip. adds the tang mustard gives to mayo! Love the whole pickle Grass Snake. I also add tbsp or two of my pecan smoked Hab sauce!!
Lighting fires

You guys have some very good ideas. I'm surprised nobody mentioned apples or pecans which is great with Tuna, but I would then omit the eggs and mustard.

Depends on the situation:
Tuna
Mayo
Mustard
Wonder Bread
Running out the door

or

Tuna
Mayo
Mustard
Chopped Hard Boiled Egg
Pickle Relish or finely chopped pickles
Finely chopped Onion
My own blend of Hab/Bhut/Black Pepper/Garlic Salt/Sea Salt powder
Romaine Lettuce
Fat slice of Tomato
Toasted 7-Grain Bread
Beer
Boots up on the coffee table watching anything but reality shows cuz nobody else is home to nag me to do otherwise :party:

Pumpernickel bread.

Canned tuna in olive oil... in bowl.
Prepare your mayo by adding a teaspoon of good taragon vinegar for tang and tarragon flavor.
Now add prepared mayo, salt, pepper to tuna... mix.
Now add chopped pickled jal, diced white onion, sweet relish... mix again.

Let rest to meld.

Toast (or don't) pump. Mayo up the bread (now you see why you add tarragon vinegar to the mayo, not the entire mix). Put fresh bib lettuce on the bottom, the tuna on top, and bacon if you wish... top, and cut in half.

Also good with fontina or havarti!

The Hot Pepper said:
Pumpernickel bread.

Canned tuna in olive oil... in bowl.
Prepare your mayo by adding a teaspoon of good taragon vinegar for tang and tarragon flavor.
Now add prepared mayo, salt, pepper to tuna... mix.
Now add chopped pickled jal, diced white onion, sweet relish... mix again.

Let rest to meld.

Toast (or don't) pump. Mayo up the bread (now you see why you add tarragon vinegar to the mayo, not the entire mix). Put fresh bib lettuce on the bottom, the tuna on top, and bacon if you wish... top, and cut in half.

Also good with fontina or havarti!
You think your fancy huh?  ;)  Sounds like a 5 star Tuna sandwich I would love to eat.

It's not fancy really.

I could have said fresh tuna steaks...

I usually have those ingredients on hand. Not a fan of iceberg lettuce and white bread. Give it a try. The kicker is sweet relish, that gives it a nice contrast. Plus the pump bread is the perfect match.

Back