• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this for real?

I know an old guy from El Salvador who told me he would scream at his plants when they weren't growing or producing. He would also embarrass them, a fruit tree for example, he would hang old shoes and just random crap from the branches to bring shame to the tree. He swears it works and plants have feelings. I thought he was crazy but seeing this makes me wonder.  

Daily Mail, Daily Mail, Daily Mail.... c'mon!!!!!!! It's barely a step up from rags you read at the grocery store check-out.

Interesting. The article says "Katie" and "Lucy" were originally developed by his friend in the UK. Sounds like this was "nickdu" on this forum. Check out his post about Lucy and Katie from 9/2013: 
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/41883-lucy/?hl=lucy

These are both essentially the same cross, grown out both ways (reversing the parenting). Originally, Lucy tested much hotter than Katie - but that was an earlier generation and before that guy started biting and yelling at them :) Yet another pepper that approaches the 1.5 million mark. I've had the Lucy and it was indeed HOT!

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Bad science is embarassing.
Its not bad science its been long studied the effects of sound waves and plant growth. Ever heard of people playing music or talking to their plants? It is believed that music and talking to plants can simulate sound waves that plants are exposed to in nature when there is rain, thunder and lighting.   

The last time I talked to my peppers I was off my meds, I have run various Stress test just to see if it would produce hotter peppers, less water, striping the leaves and tiping the plant over so that most of the limbs would have to bend and grow upwards. While it does tend to make the pods hotter, its just a environment factor so the plants would not carry this change over to the next generation unless you did it for several generations to the seedlings of the original plants, then it might cause some genetic changes one drawback I found was some of the stressed plants had less pods even though what pods I did get were much hotter to a degree.

Back