• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Great Tasting Ornamental Pepper Varieties

So most ornamentals are not the best tasting, and many avoid them for this reason. However, there are quite a few different varieties that are considered ornamental that are great tasting as well. I wanted to start a thread where we can discuss these types and and find out which of these peppers are worth eating. What ornamentals are you growing that surprised or impressed you with their flavor?

I've grown several ornamental varieties AaronTT.  Judging just from what I've grown/eaten I would recommend the following:

Fish Pepper - beautiful variegated foliage and peppers - starting stripey green and maturing to a deep lipstick red.  Great dehydrated and ground (cayenne like heat) and with any manner of seafood (duh).

Maui Purple - dark purplish foliage and peppers start dark purple almost black.  Skinny spikey upright pods mature to a dark brick red, medium hot, good for pickling and great for pizza flakes.  

Aji Omnicolor - smaller bushy plants, high yielding with fruits that start white then go green and orange to finally red at maturity.  Good medium heat and very versatile; use for salsas, ceviche, hot sauce, powders, etc.

I would not recommend Bulgarian Carrot, Czeck Black or Royal Black for eating.  The plants/pods are beautiful but I found then quite seedy and bitter. 

I'n not exactly sure but I bought this as a thai plant at home depot and it has good heat and tastes really good. Maybe some here can identify it. This is my second set of peppers and I'm going to over winter this plant.

Attachments

• thai.jpg
    thai.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 48
Which of these ornamentals would anyone here recommend for year round indoor growing in a smaller containers?

{Edit : Don't mean to threadjack..which ones have great flavor and how can they be grown as well..)

SavinaRed said:
I'n not exactly sure but I bought this as a thai plant at home depot and it has good heat and tastes really good. Maybe some here can identify it. This is my second set of peppers and I'm going to over winter this plant.

Looks a lot like my Pequin plants.

SavinaRed said:
It is many times called either Thai Hot or Thai Sun, I always grow at least 4 of them and have had the plants in my grow since 95 :)

Aji omnicolor is a great strain
! But whats ornamental About it? Just good pods with decent heat! Love them

Explosieve ember is a great ornamental! 100s of small peppers on one plant! Starts of purple as the leafs and riping to blood red!
Has a nice kick and no floral taste or whatsoever !

I grew 4 ornamental varieties this year. Black pearl, purple flash, Chinese 5 colour and sangria. For my tastes, the sangria was the best flavoured out of them all, seemed similar to Thai peppers in flavour with not much heat. Chinese 5 colour was decent when ripe, while purple flash and black pearl were so so fresh. 

HellBoar said:
What type of flavour is the fish pepper cathy?

I'd put it between a ripe serrano and a cayenne personally.  Thin walled pods, pretty prolific plants.  Do well in containers too (or did in my 3 gallon pots).

Back