• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Pork Shoulder Roast

Pork shoulder roast marinated and ready to put in the oven in the morning! Every year along with a turkey my family cooks what we call a pernil for Thanksgiving. I gotta admit we probably look forward to this more than the turkey. Using a hind leg would have been ideal but those were 50 bucks and way more meat than what we can eat so I settled with a 10 lb shoulder. I highly recommend that you guys try this recipe, you won't be disappointed.

Use a wide knife stab 1in incisions all around the meat. Rub the marinade all over and pushing it in the cuts using your finger.
Separate skin from meat leaving one side attached and marinate underneath. Let sit for 24 hrs before cooking.

My marinade is very similar to the goya recipe with some additions and different quantities.

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves of garlic chopped finely
2 tsp of adobo
1 fresh squeezed lemon
2 packets Sazon con Culatro Y Achiote
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground Black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
20141126_122221_zpsdu9n5fev.jpg

To cook: (This is right from the Goya website)
Heat oven to 350°F. Transfer pork, skin side-up, to roasting pan; bring to room temperature, about 1 hour. Pat skin dry. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil. Cook pork until meat is fork-tender and internal temperature registers 145°F, 3 - 3½ hours; discard foil. Increase oven to 450°F. Cook pork, uncovered, adding water in ¼ cup measures if pan becomes dry, until skin is brown and crisp, 20 - 35 minutes, checking pan every 10 minutes. Transfer pork to cutting board; let rest 20 minutes. Remove skin and cut into pieces. Drain fat from drippings. Cut meat from bone. Serve with skin and pan juices.

Enjoy THP!

Hawaiianero said:
Nah Pork on pork sandwich: Big ol'chunk of that awesome meat between 2 slices of skin :drooling: mmmmmmm remember when the Atkins diet was the big craze? Yeah, that was the shit!!! and so is this pork shoulder recipe!!! This one is on my short list :dance:
Now,That's what I'm talking about.

Love tacos but not for Thanksgiving. Rolls will do the the job here. Hawaiianero puree the garlic if you make this recipe, that is what I should have done, or sub with powder. Kind of a pain to get the garlic inside the incisions.

Hawaiianero said:

Nah Pork on pork sandwich: Big ol'chunk of that awesome meat between 2 slices of skin :drooling: mmmmmmm remember when the Atkins diet was the big craze? Yeah, that was the shit!!! and so is this pork shoulder recipe!!! This one is on my short list :dance:

Just commenting on you devouring it all by its lonesome. I love pernil. Gotta have me some yucca with onions, and Cuban rice and beans. Fresh Cuban bread lightly toasted on a comal with pats of butter. And beer. Done!

Tacos more for carnitas not pernil. I misspoke!

The Hot Pepper said:
Just commenting on you devouring it all by its lonesome. I love pernil. Gotta have me some yucca with onions, and Cuban rice and beans. Fresh Cuban bread lightly toasted on a comal with pats of butter. And beer. Done!

Tacos more for carnitas not pernil. I misspoke!

My mom will be making arroz con gandules. Not Cuban, but close enough right?

The green peas? I think?

Sure. I love a mix of rice and beans/peas.

Sounds like a great meal. Keep posting!

Back