• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Doing an experiment...advice pls

Just removed some seeds from a grocery store bought Bell pepper. Do I have to dry the seeds for a while before they are good for planting or are they good to go now fresh out of the pepper? Thanks in advance,

HB

Thanks guys. I also just did a search and found lots of info, duh! Sry for the unnecessary post. Will do better next time.

No such thing as unnecessary is right! We are all here to help each other out ;) But for future reference, Green pods (for the most part) are unripe, which means the seeds are still very young and most likely wont be viable. Also, pepper seeds can be planted straight out of the pepper! No need to dry! :)

ArkansasJack said:
No such thing is a post that's unnecessary when it's about peppers.......

Amen brother! Please ask we enjoy questions.

A bell (or any pepper) need be ripe for the seeds to be viable. A jalapeno need be red. A bell would need to be yellow or red. The green bells, though delicious, are not the "ripe" color.

The seeds should then be dried a bit. Perhaps a week out on a paper plate. After that they should work. True, however, they may not turn out the way you want (hybrid).

Give it a go and good luck.

Pods don't have to be 100% ripe I took green anaheim's and got good seeds that I grew out, they should be as close to turning some color or have a little color.  

Back