• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

let's talk cheese

let's talk cheese.
I'm sure there's gotta be some cheese connoisseur's here, & I'm not talking about eating a block of velveeta or your single wrapped american/cheddar/swiss cheese slices ;):lol:
I'm talking about specialty cheese's. I'm no expert cheese connoisseur but I do enjoy eating some finer cheese's.
since there isn't a cheese thread yet for this forum I guess I'll be the 1st to bring it up.

every now & then I buy some fine cheese, it goes good with hot sauce & crackers :)
I forget some of the names of cheese I've tried recently (but can get the names the next time I'm at the grocery store) - some good some bad.

the little package of cheese I just finished recently was "white cheddar w/chipotle, made by sugar river cheese"
it has a good flavor, nicely made for flavor but the chipotle flavor is very weak (barely taste it) the cheese doesnt crumble apart like some I've had.
I'd buy this cheese again, I plan on trying some of their other flavors soon.

here's a picture.

cheese-white-cheddar.jpg

cheese and hot go together like peas and carrots. i always have them together. a little brie au bleu and some really hot hot sauce on a ham sandwich? heaven.

Last year I was introduced to "Robusto" which is a nutty cheese. Very good and addicting. Its an aged gouda cheese, and I only have seen it sold at Whole Foods.

Smoked Gouda.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Yeah, lots of good cheeses.

That isnt't cheese, this is:

180px-Huntsman_cheese.jpg

I got it for cheep at local store..cuz they are idiots. I also got pure penecillin, aka...this.

S6300647.JPG

Dat is real cheese...Stilton and Roueqfort. First shot was of Stilton and Hunter cheese...aged longer than our presidential system.

My personal apologies to Mr. Adams..we forgot everything you taught us..

It is good. NOT American cheez as you know it. It's cheese as the World knows it.

I treasure having both of them...they are like gold. Both of the companies tha make those, are ancient..100's yrs old. They have pride from generations. We've forgotten that. WHEN did America stop caring tha5t much...

That Stilton//Hunter cheese, is hand layered..it takes weeks to make one round of it.

It has flavor few in this life will ever know. True Blue Stilton, is one of the finest cheeses on earth. I'm proud to have had some.

That, on a sirloin burger..was not only a treat, it was an honour.

DevilDuck said:
I ran across a Hab Jack cheese that was divine. I can't find it anymore, though.

I LOVVE Pepperjack cheese, but Hab Jack cheese would be the best of all kinds, IMO. I'm going to have to do some searching for this, I think...

Don't know about habanero jack in other places but the local grocery carries some made by a Wisconsin dairy....great stuff, we kind of forget to buy pepper jack now. It's that good.

Jackie

What i can't stand is the cheeses that have an ammonia smell to them. reminds me of cat piss. i'm scared to try new cheeses because of that smell. it's only ever on the aged wet cheeses too.

That said, i'm a fan of bleu cheese and brie and cheddar. Specifically Irish cheddar. Sliced paper thin and eaten plain. Same with a nice parm. reg. sliced thin.

Irish Cheddar is great, like most things Irish. The cheeses I love are, Gorgonzola, Stilton, Brie, Roquefort, Danish Blue, the mouse looking cheese like Leerdammer and Jarlsberg. In England they used to sell a cheese called Lymeswold, it was like Brie with a hint of Stilton and I used to nick it out of my parents fridge and sneak of to the garage with the block of it (sneakily hide the wrapper of course), it's discontinued now. Another one that I used to like which is a soft cheese and may be a brand name :confused: was Le Roule, that cheese keeps the vampires away.

Aged Gouda. I don't like cheese too soft. Hard cheese can taste great, but hard to cut...

Has anyone tried to make cheese? I may try a Gouda or Jack with some Nagas this year!

Making cheese would be fun. Not sure the process for each cheese, but it must take some bit of aging.

Simple, but fantastic spicy queso dip:

1- jar of favorite salsa- FKS new Black Bean & Corn(Bestest salsa ever)
1- half of a block of velvetta cheese
1- microwave
1- microwavable bowl

Place the salsa in the microwavable bowl and add some cubes of velvetta and nuke for 1 minute, and mix, repeat until the velvetta and salsa are a nice smooth consistancy. Dip Tositoes Multigrain Nachos or some chicken and you will know Nirvana.:)

rainbowberry said:
Another one that I used to like which is a soft cheese and may be a brand name :confused: was Le Roule, that cheese keeps the vampires away.

I LOOOOVE Le Roule!!! That stuff spread on a French baguette that's perfectly baked...pure heaven.

I love lots of cheeses...but my favorite is brie. Strongly flavored brie. I also really really like Drunken Goat. It makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches, IMHO.

Dammit, looks like a trip to Whole Foods is in order tonight.

klyth said:
Has anyone tried to make cheese? I may try a Gouda or Jack with some Nagas this year!

My buddy in NYC makes his own mozzarella(yes, he's a hardcore Italian) and he says it's pretty easy to make. He said it takes about an hour or so and all his ingredients are is cow's milk(cant be from a goat apparently), rennet and citric acid.

pepperfever said:
Don't know about habanero jack in other places but the local grocery carries some made by a Wisconsin dairy....great stuff, we kind of forget to buy pepper jack now. It's that good.

Jackie

I think it's the Great Midwest Cheese Company. It's got a picture of a Bison on it. They're hab cheese is really good, but honestly there morel and leek cheese in OUSTANDING!!!

QuadShotz said:
That isnt't cheese, this is:

like I said I'm no expert, just that I like some better cheese's.

pepperfever said:

Jackie

where you get this, which store ? is it a chain store that might be statewide ?
I'm so sick of "pepperjack, made with jalapenos" & I very rarely (if not basically never!)see any pepperjack made with habaneros, in my area :(

to all - well it sounds like alot of you like gouda cheese, I just might have to buy some of that the next time to try. I usually ate cheddar,swiss types.
by the looks of it some of you know alot more about cheese than I do :cool: because I'd also like to try some other kinds that I haven't tried yet (reason behind this thread also :)) BUT nothing nasty! I forget what kind of cheese but I remember some type is an acquired taste to eat it (munster or ?)

Dudes....Cabot makes the cheese you want....
habanero350.jpg

And most supermarkets sell this stuff(ya might have to go looking for it though)

p.s.- it's KILLER!

Sickmont said:
habanero350.jpg

And most supermarkets sell this stuff(ya might have to go looking for it though)

p.s.- it's KILLER!
x2. This brand and variety is super easy to find. I get mine at Wegman's. I've seen it elsewhere too.

Sickmont said:

p.s.- it's KILLER!

thank you, for mentioning a good brand of habanero cheese. around here they do sell "cabot" cheese's, but sadly never seen this habanero cheese sold anywhere around here, & I do look at any cheese that puts a vague claim as "pepperjack/hot cheese/etc..." & at several different stores throughout the area.
so I might end up asking a store around here if they would order some in since they already sell cabot products (just not that style)

Back