• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Complexity of sugars for a ferment

So, Im having a great time with this new-to-me fermenting process. One of the things Im really enjoying is how simple it is yet minor things change the complexity of the final product...yummy sauce.

I just have several ferments under my belt and with each of them I used different peppers, fruits, vegetables, recipes, sugars

Im understanding that some vegetables and fruits contain more sugars than others and that we can add a "sugar".

Ive used honey and Ive used agave nectar in separate ferment recipes but Im curious about other sugars, their acceptable use, productive quality, say for instance plain white granulated sugar, is it too simple of a sugar? Ive read where some may use some brown sugar, how does that compare to table sugar. Raw cane sugar, is that still complex enough?

Ive read through the fermenting 101 thread and, well, my retention isn't what it used to be so sorry if Im asking something that's been gone over umteen times already

Just curious what you fermenting veterans have experimented with and am interested in knowing your experiences and opinions on the uses of different sugars.
Thanks! :lol:

The simplest pepper ferments don't have any added sugar in any form.  Some people will use a culture or starter to get the GoodBugs going, and a lot don't use anything to get the ferment started.  A lot of fermented products like kimchee and sauerkraut don't have any starters or sugar.  And quite a few people doing chile ferments use fruits and vegetables that contain natural sugars.

Thanks, really appreciate the info!
But Im still curious about how the different sugars react to fermentation. I love the idea of the different wines and am thinking on attempting that coming up shortly.

Thanks again. :)

2Goats I'd love to see a 3 way documented ferment with the same pepper mash 'innoculated' with refined white sugar, brown sugar and turbinado sugar - say a pint or so of each that ages X amount of days and then is pulled and tasted ala 'pepsi challenge' at the same time to see if the added sugar changed the taste or not and to what degree. I'd offer to do the same myself but red or yellow ripe hots of any kind have been scarce here in the midwest these last 5 weeks or so.

Ya know SmokinFire, that sounds like an incredible idea. All things being equal, only different sugars. I still have several pounds of habs/scorps and ghosts in the freezer....hmmmm
It might take awhile to get the answer Im looking for but I guess I should just stop being lazy and do it...maybe after the holidays.
Still though, I would like to hear peoples opinions and experiences and knowledge if anyone has experimented with many different sugars of varying complexity and makeup.

To the LAB sugar is sugar whether it's sucros, fruitose, glucose or other. It's the other part of the name of the sugar that's going to make a difference in the flavor profile of the sauce rather than just making more Lactic Acid which using white sugar or corn syrup is basically all you'll get. Brown Sugar, dark or light, Turbinado sugar, Honey, Agave Nectar, Molassas, now these will give you the added Lactic Acid but will also add to the depth of character of your sauce because there will be that flavor left over as well.

Back