• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermenting with fruit rind?

Getting ready to start my new ferments but am making one with pineapple and mandarins want to use whole orange in my mash ground of course. Just wondering if anyone has tried this looked for post but can't find one, any thoughts?

RocketMan said:
I've used Blood Orange before. The trick with citrus is to get the meat of the fruit and with oranges you want to get the zest but not the white pith which is extremely bitter. Both will be fine in a ferment.
Thanks RocketMan am excited to give this a try. Have you ever tried persimmons? A friend gave me a basket full afraid to try them. Lol just thought if the have a nice flavor may be good for a sauce

oldsalty said:
Thanks RocketMan am excited to give this a try. Have you ever tried persimmons? A friend gave me a basket full afraid to try them. Lol just thought if the have a nice flavor may be good for a sauce

I make a wonderful persimmon bread with dried cherries and walnuts. Comes out just like a banana bread or a zuchini bread.  I think they'd be amazing in a ferment or as a sweet balancing note in a vinegar based hot sauce.  Careful - they will thicken recipes, so add a bit at a time.

SmokenFire said:
I make a wonderful persimmon bread with dried cherries and walnuts. Comes out just like a banana bread or a zuchini bread.  I think they'd be amazing in a ferment or as a sweet balancing note in a vinegar based hot sauce.  Careful - they will thicken recipes, so add a bit at a time.
Awesome thanks SmokenFire going to do a ferment with them and would love your persimmon bread recipe :)
If this comes out tasty I'll send you a bottle brother :)

oldsalty said:
Have you ever tried persimmons? .... Lol just thought if the have a nice flavor may be good for a sauce

Well, folks ferment them all the time to make persimmon wine, so that's a plus lol.

What kind are they? What do they look like, an acorn shape or a slightly flatten tomato shape? (you're lookin for the latter)

Have you tasted them?

DownRiver said:
Well, folks ferment them all the time to make persimmon wine, so that's a plus lol.

What kind are they? What do they look like, an acorn shape or a slightly flatten tomato shape? (you're lookin for the latter)

Have you tasted them?
Slightly flat they look like a orange tomato :) haven't tried one yet! Scerd! Lol

That's the right one. Should be nice and sweet, as long as they're ripe.

oldsalty said:
What's the best way to check for ripeness?
Thanks

They really will literally feel like a water balloon about to burst - like you have to be careful handling them.  That's when they're best.

I know when juicing you want to avoid orange peels. They can cause a very upset stomach. Now if it's fermented it may not be an issue. Not to mention the fact that you're probably not going to drink your sauce.

RocketMan said:
Ozzy, that's the pith, the white part that does that. If you zest the Orange, only taking the Orange putter portion, you'll be fine and have some great flavor too.
Sounds good then. I was thinking about adding some zest to a ferment as well.

Back