• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Cool.  You could do a Cascadia grow too :cool:

Cascadia_CS05m_hi.jpg

I want to slip this in here since it applies to the PNW growers, and then I'm turning it over to the other PNW growers who want to post their grow lists, and grow set-ups. 

There has been an ongoing discussion in a couple of other threads concerning beneficial insects, and how to attract them.  I emailed the OSU Extension Service regarding native plants to our area that attract beneficial insects.  Here's the OSU response:

There are a number of wild flowers native to the western U.S. that are good food sources for beneficial insects. Sweet fennel, Fiddleneck fireweed, Anise, Yarrow, Coreopsis, Goldenrod, and Tansy. Some of these native plants can become invasive under favorable conditions. And some like Tansy are poisonous to livestock. OSU has a publication called "Encouraging Beneficial Insects in Your Garden". The publication is numbered as PNW 550 by Gail Gredler. It has a nice list of garden plants good for beneficials. Many of the introduced species are a much better food source for beneficial insects and are not a problem about becoming invasive, especially if you are not gardening in a riparian area.

Here's my current list of what I planting this year.

Habs
Orange Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Aji Habanero

Bhut Jolokia
Red
Yellow
Brown
White
Peach

7 Pod Primo
Butch T
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Reaper

Aji Cito
Aji Verde

Red Fatalii

Star of Turkey
Cumra Cherry
Pementa De Neyde
Goat Weed
Jalapeno's 
Thai Hots

Not sure of the numbers yet for each. Will start them around the first.

organic pepper said:
Here's my current list of what I planting this year.

Habs
Orange Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Aji Habanero

Bhut Jolokia
Red
Yellow
Brown
White
Peach

7 Pod Primo
Butch T
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Reaper

Aji Cito
Aji Verde

Red Fatalii

Star of Turkey
Cumra Cherry
Pementa De Neyde
Goat Weed
Jalapeno's 
Thai Hots

Not sure of the numbers yet for each. Will start them around the first.
Very cool list, man. If you can post a photo of your germination set-up, that would be great. I will be doing the same.

Beautiful place Jim!

And a nice list by you and "Organic Pepper"

Good luck this season!

Roguejim said:
Very cool list, man. If you can post a photo of your germination set-up, that would be great. I will be doing the same.
Will do Jim. Just waiting for the 4 Bio Domes I ordered from Park seeds. It will let me start up with 160 seed sites an go from there.

Devv said:
Beautiful place Jim!

And a nice list by you and "Organic Pepper"

Good luck this season!
Yeah Scott, it is a beautiful place left to me by my Dad.  Unfortunately, I have zero access to the river 60' below, blackberry bushes all the way straight down.  No problem.  I'm a pool guy in the Summer anyway.
organic pepper said:
Will do Jim. Just waiting for the 4 Bio Domes I ordered from Park seeds. It will let me start up with 160 seed sites an go from there.
Bio Domes?  I'm going to have to Google that one.  My own germination set-up will be very low tech.  You'll see...

Man, Jim, you are really setting the bar here!  I haven't even cleaned my 2014
seeds up yet, and you and OP have a list going!

In the meantime, here are some baccutum and pubescens seedlings I started on Nov. 15th.

Orange Manzano seedlings:
_DSC2499a_zps081e2c30.jpg

Aji Amarillo seedlings:
_DSC2500a_zps0298b3dd.jpg

I'll try to get three of each to grow out next season.
Thanks for getting the PNW/Cascadia blog going, Jim.  
I'll try to be a regular contributor!

PaulG said:
Man, Jim, you are really setting the bar here!  I haven't even cleaned my 2014
seeds up yet, and you and OP have a list going!

In the meantime, here are some baccutum and pubescens seedlings I started on Nov. 15th.

Orange Manzano seedlings:
_DSC2499a_zps081e2c30.jpg

Aji Amarillo seedlings:
_DSC2500a_zps0298b3dd.jpg

I'll try to get three of each to grow out next season.
Yeah, I planned ahead. I don't like rushing.

Alright! Pac-NW representing early!

I'd throw a list up if I had any idea of what my grow is going to look like next year. So many seeds... and I didn't even jump on a seed train. I do know I'm going to tone down the heat, because I'm the only heat lover in the house.  And the superhots can be prolific!

Going hard with some Jalapenos, because I want to can a bunch. Also ordered a bunch of Turkish varieties and other interesting less-hot peppers from Judy. 

PaulG said:

Totally agreed! Loved reading last year's glog.

I'm also redoing my basement, so I'm tearing out my makeshift grow room. But I DID finish this project over the Turkey Day break:

EvCL2Tnl.jpg

My first foray into hyrdo... a bubble bucket. Going to start some basil in it as a test run. If that goes good, drop a pepper in it. And come July 1st, when a certain new law goes into effect, I might try something more interesting.

Good luck with the hydro project, John!

Wow,

I am feeling like I am behind now.  I have been pontificating what my grow list will be, but every time I make a list, it gets too long.  I promised myself that I would cut back a bit, so I need to knuckle down and get that list built. 

Jim,  thanks for kicking off this Glog for 2015.  I will get some pictures and a list in the near future yet!

Bill

Really enjoyed the NW 2014 glog.  Here is to a happy and successful 2015 season for everyone!

I've had really good success with raised beds (vs pots or directly in the ground) so I'm only going to use them this year.  My wife will be so happy the back yard isn't scattered with pots all over the place.  The handy thing about raised beds is it forces me a hard cap at the number of plants I can fit, which is 24 plants.  

I started planning 2015 by going with fewer pepper varieties and 3-5 plants per variety.  But as I kept trying to figure out what varieties to cut from my wish list, I ended up cutting the number plants per variety one by one to make room for a new pepper variety instead.

So this is my final list for 2015 (I think)
  • 2 Aji Lemon
  • 1 Aji Pinapple
  • 1 Aji Cito
  • 1 Aji Peruvian
  • 1 Aji Panca
  • 1 Aji Verde
  • 1 Brazilian Starfish
  • 2 Yellow Fatalii
  • 1 White Fatalii
  • 2 Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
  • 1 MOA
  • 1 Congo Trinidad
  • 2 Morouga Red Habanero
  • 1 Cheiro Roxa
  • 6 Maule's Cayenne 
I did go with 6 cayennes because I really love using them in a variety of different sauces and jellies and I can never seem to have enough of them. 

turbo said:
Really enjoyed the NW 2014 glog.  Here is to a happy and successful 2015 season for everyone!

I've had really good success with raised beds (vs pots or directly in the ground) so I'm only going to use them this year.  My wife will be so happy the back yard isn't scattered with pots all over the place.  The handy thing about raised beds is it forces me a hard cap at the number of plants I can fit, which is 24 plants.  

I started planning 2015 by going with fewer pepper varieties and 3-5 plants per variety.  But as I kept trying to figure out what varieties to cut from my wish list, I ended up cutting the number plants per variety one by one to make room for a new pepper variety instead.

So this is my final list for 2015 (I think)

• 2 Aji Lemon
  • 1 Aji Pinapple
  • 1 Aji Cito
  • 1 Aji Peruvian
  • 1 Aji Panca
  • 1 Aji Verde
  • 1 Brazilian Starfish
  • 2 Yellow Fatalii
  • 1 White Fatalii
  • 2 Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
  • 1 MOA
  • 1 Congo Trinidad
  • 2 Morouga Red Habanero
  • 1 Cheiro Roxa
  • 6 Maule's Cayenne 
I did go with 6 cayennes because I really love using them in a variety of different sauces and jellies and I can never seem to have enough of them.
I wish I could limit myself to a list like yours. Eventually, I will have to. I'll be interested to see how your aji panca does. Nigel tells me it needs a long season. Good luck, guys.

Roguejim said:
I wish I could limit myself to a list like yours. Eventually, I will have to. I'll be interested to see how your aji panca does. Nigel tells me it needs a long season. Good luck, guys.

Yea, I read the same thing about the Panca, but they were free seeds from PepperLover, so what are you gonna do, right?  :P  

blorvak said:
Alright! Pac-NW representing early!

I'd throw a list up if I had any idea of what my grow is going to look like next year. So many seeds... and I didn't even jump on a seed train. I do know I'm going to tone down the heat, because I'm the only heat lover in the house.  And the superhots can be prolific!

Going hard with some Jalapenos, because I want to can a bunch. Also ordered a bunch of Turkish varieties and other interesting less-hot peppers from Judy. 

Totally agreed! Loved reading last year's glog.

I'm also redoing my basement, so I'm tearing out my makeshift grow room. But I DID finish this project over the Turkey Day break:

EvCL2Tnl.jpg

My first foray into hyrdo... a bubble bucket. Going to start some basil in it as a test run. If that goes good, drop a pepper in it. And come July 1st, when a certain new law goes into effect, I might try something more interesting.
So, what variety of jalapenos?  I'm going with giant japs, cracked japs, amd some japs I got from Pepper-Guru.  I'm also going with fresnos and siling bilongs because I want to have plenty of "base peppers" that I can add the super-hot peppers to, in a sauce.  Do I need Biker Billys?  Never tried them... 

PaulG said:
Good luck with the hydro project, John!

Thanks! I'll take all the luck I can get! Should be an interesting project to tinker with until I can get some seeds in the dirt in Feb or so. 

Roguejim said:
So, what variety of jalapenos?  I'm going with giant japs, cracked japs, amd some japs I got from Pepper-Guru.  I'm also going with fresnos and siling bilongs because I want to have plenty of "base peppers" that I can add the super-hot peppers to, in a sauce.  Do I need Biker Billys?  Never tried them... 

I grew the Cracked Jalapenos last year, and liked them quite a bit. Great flavor. They never 'cracked', but I didn't care. Was considering maybe growing 6-10 of them. With one plant, you get 1-2 peppers at a time, which is great for superhots, but not so great for jalapenos.

I also got some Farmer's Jalapeno from PepperLover, just because it looks so wild.

Back