• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Chicago Chilehead Spots

There are quite a few THP members from Chicago, and with a city so big, and so diverse, we've all got to have our favorite spots.  There's almost any kind of food you can imagine located somewhere in this city. In a city that serves hot peppers on their hot dogs religiously, there are some pretty great places for a good spiced up, sit down meal too. So, what are you favorite places for Mexican, Indian, Nigerian?  Who has the best salsa?  Hottest dish you've had?  Best wings?  What place has shocked you with spice?  

I'll start the thread by suggesting a trip to Fat Rice, named one of the best new restaurants in the US in 2013.  It's a Macanese place, a mix of Portugese and Asian cooking mostly, but then they have Piri Piri Chicken and Indian-ish curries.  They make a sauce with bhuts in it that was pretty tasty, nothing that will melt your face off too bad though.  I don't know how much has changed since I was there last year, but it was definitely good eats. You can find lots of heat on the menu. 

What about you?

Haven't been to Chicago in ages but back in the day father and son pizza was the spot. Never seen pizza so big until recently here in Texas. Does anyone still go there? I'm sure by now another pizza place reigns supreme. Hope pizza counts as a spicy food because you can put wut eva on the shi.

Marcello's father and son?  I've ordered pizza from there a few times, not my favorite in the logan square area though.  There's more and more wood fire/brick oven places opening up around here.  SumofmyBits and I went to a place called Reno and had a pizza called "The Hog" it was porkbelly carnitas, salsa verde, mozz, rajas, and cotija cheese.  So good. They have a kimchi pizza at the moment and a bunch of other spicy pizzas.  I think their table hot sauce is homemade too, but I find it a bit strange tasting, like it has anise or something in it. 

Jake Melnick's has great pub food.  They have really good wing sauces, my favorite being the fire cracker sauce. It has a tangy taste to it.  It tastes like they use honey mustard, siracha.  They do have a ghost sauce that you need to sign a waiver before eating.  I've had it twice and though it had heat, it wasn't face melting imo.  Oh, and they never brought the waiver either timer.  For pizza, I think Pequods is the best and would recommend them before any other place.  Its a small place about 5 or 10 minutes above the downtown area.  I don't normally like deep dish but their's is deelish! 

Back