• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Our non-traditional Sauerkraut

We fermented some kraut a few months ago, it was our first attempt so I kept it pretty simple, a head of cabbage a little sweet onion a bit of garlic, salt and several weeks fermenting in a half gallon mason jar with an airlock. After 6 weeks we moved it from our closet and into a container, in the fridge it went. Its pretty tasty but now we're running low...whoops, I guess I shoulda started another batch a month ago.

So a few days ago we picked up a couple heads of red cabbage and this morning I had time to get it together and begin another sauerkraut ferment.
I enjoy traditionally made foods but I also enjoy doing things my own way so heres my take on our red cabbage kraut.
Red cabbage, green onion, fresh dill, fresh rosemary a little celery and salt. Mixed, ground it all together, let it sit for half an hour.

Then packed it into a half gallon mason jar with an airlock.
I had some more left over but not enough to for a quart jar on its own, so I sliced some carrots and chopped up some red serrano peppers, mashed and packed it into a quart mason jar with an airlock. Yumm, I hope. I fuess we'll find out in several weeks! ;)

I know its not traditional, but I enjoy experimenting with stuff I have available and Im really looking forward to tasting these when they are ready.

We usually make 3 batches, or a gallon and a half each month.  Green cabbage put through the cuisinart, maybe a touch of onion, sea salt, couple grinds black pepper, caraway, pinch of anise seed.  It ages between 7-12 days (depending on how it takes to finish the one in the fridge) and I eat it all the time.  Wonderful stuff.  

I dig your take on a non traditional kraut 2Goats!  

Wow those colors are beautiful could post in photography site. Looks great interesting they you used rosemary will be excited to hear your results!! :) yummy!

DownRiver said:

I'm usually a patient type a person but, ferment my ass, give me a fork!

This looks delicious, NOW!   :lol:
Hahaha! Thanks, yeah, as I was letting it "rest" and when I was packing it, I couldnt resist, I helped myself to some...It was tasty...damn, now my mouths watering.

2Goats said:
So a few days ago we picked up a couple heads of red cabbage and this morning I had time to get it together and begin another sauerkraut ferment.
I enjoy traditionally made foods but I also enjoy doing things my own way so heres my take on our red cabbage kraut.
Red cabbage, green onion, fresh dill, fresh rosemary a little celery and salt. Mixed, ground it all together, let it sit for half an hour.

So how did it turn out???  I made my first sauerkraut and it turned out GREAT ( 3 weeks fermented ) , so tonight I started a non-traditional Sauerkraut, 1lb 10oz Purple cabbage, 1/2 of a Red Naga, 1/2 purple Onion, Himalayan Pink Salt, and a little Garlic powder. :)      

That sounds like its going to be tasty!

Our non traditional sauerkraut came out great, the rosemary wasnt over the top, just a subtle nuance as well as the dill. We have really been enjoying it and plan on doing another batch soon, hopefully we will have some ready before our current supply runs out.

I look forward to reading about your non-traditional sauerkraut. I might do something similar when while doing our next batch.

I took this pic last night!!    Three weeks is what I plan on letting it go. Don't know if it will last that long lol

dhcRljH.jpg

Back