• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hybrid Mode 01 2015

IMG_0181_zps49d2ecab.jpg

juanitos said:
hey who the heck is this hybrid mode guy

None other than the other half of the THP help desk, OK! You ready to start fielding some noob questions in about a month? 

Who you gonna call?  GHOST PEPPERS!!!

RoninCat said:
Yo let's goooooooooooo!! :D

Ooooh yeah. I am SO ready for the 2015 growing season! I'm gonna have some AWESOME soil this year.

Grass Snake said:
Nice pile of leaves HYBRID

Thanks, yo. I assume you're referring to the heap of leaf mold gettin' happy in the background. 'Cuz lemme tell ya, that pile next to the fork in the foreground is all compost. The thermometer doesn't lie. 155F, baby! Wooo!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

None other than the other half of the THP help desk, OK! You ready to start fielding some noob questions in about a month? 

Who you gonna call?  GHOST PEPPERS!!!

sooooo why did you change? now all most posts that say i agree with dash look weird!  :rofl:

juanitos said:

sooooo why did you change? now all most posts that say i agree with dash look weird!  :rofl:

I had to change my name. They were on to me, man.        *looks over shoulder, all shifty-like*

Grass Snake said:
How long did it take compost?

I've been collecting components all year, but the bulk of the pile was from my and my neighbors leaves this fall, chopped garden plants and lawn clippings from the last four or five mowings. That stuff has been cooking for a little over two months. Although I have mixed in additional shredded leaves two times since I started it. (Hence all the uncomposted leaves sticking out of it.)
Scorched said:
Nice, can't wait to see this grow get started

Me neither! I plan on starting some seeds for some wild varieties tomorrow or Saturday, so our wait won't be too much longer!

IMG_0184_zpsfa70ad65.jpg

It's not very spicy or sexy, but it's what I'm growing right now.
     The tub is about 1/3 full of cheap organic potting soil mixed about 2:1 with coarse perlite. I also added about 2/3 c. Tomato Tone, about 2/3 c. of bone meal, 4 c. worm castings some kelp meal and then wet it down with about a liter of compost tea. It's on a 4x2 seedling heating mat set to 70 something.

edit: Yes, that is an authentic Ronco Showtime rotisserie you see on the shelf back there. And yes, it is fucking awesome.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
IMG_0184_zpsfa70ad65.jpg

It's not very spicy or sexy, but it's what I'm growing right now.
     The tub is about 1/3 full of cheap organic potting soil mixed about 2:1 with coarse perlite. I also added about 2/3 c. Tomato Tone, about 2/3 c. of bone meal, 4 c. worm castings some kelp meal and then wet it down with about a liter of compost tea. It's on a 4x2 seedling heating mat set to 70 something.

Is this the mix that your seedlings will be grown in? How long does that need to cook before you can use it?

edit: Yes, that is an authentic Ronco Showtime rotisserie you see on the shelf back there. And yes, it is f**king awesome.

Grass Snake said:
When you say "growing" do you mean just the dirt?

The microbes in the worm castings and the tea are growing and feeding on the organic nutes I added. Also, there may be a stray tulip bulb or two stuck in there somewhere. 

tctenten said:

Is this the mix that your seedlings will be grown in? How long does that need to cook before you can use it?

I still want to add a few things to it like some homemade compost (as soon as its done) and some other crap to stretch it out and improve structure and drainage. But yeah, this is it.

Grass Snake said:
Lets see inside

Okey dokey. Lemme grab another beer.

Grass Snake said:
You must be proud of that thing LOL I was talking about the inside of the tub but thats cool too. Never had a capon (young castrated rooster) How does it compare to regular chicken? And whats the purpose of the teeth on those side plates?

Oh. 

Here's a shot of the inside OF THE SOIL TUB. The wire in the middle is the temp probe for the thermostat and the black handled thing is a spaghetti fork thing. Don't tell my wife I'm using it to stir dirt.  :shh:  For some reason the reflection of the flash off the condensation makes it look white. 
IMG_0186_zps616084c3.jpg

Don't store babies in soil tubs.
IMG_0187_zps0d1b4f47.jpg

Yeah, that rotisserie is probably my favorite piece of kitchen gear. It's just mesmerizing to watch a chicken go round and round, getting browner and crispier. Making the whole house smell like chicken skin bacon heaven.
     Capons are bigger than regular chickens and their meat is more tender, too. Plus, the rotisserie is the perfect size to roast a nice, big 5-7 lb capon. (Hmmm. Might have to do that this weekend…)
     Those teeth are what link up with the drive gear in the rotisserie (on the unseen side. For some reason, there's one on each side of the bracket so it can go in either way.

Back