• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

My latest acquisition

If I shaved I would try using one but I always use the electric trimmer with no guard. I'm wondering the thing as Savina. Do you use them?

Proud Marine Dad said:
Yes, I hone them and shave with every one in my collection.
I bought it on eBay.
nice !  I once went to a barber and let him shave me with a straight razor. I told him that my face has to be prepped really well with hot water and especially on my neck. I also warned him not to shave my neck against the hair growth,. He didn't listen and I was a bleeder. That was the last time I used a straight razor lol. 

SavinaRed said:
nice !  I once went to a barber and let him shave me with a straight razor. I told him that my face has to be prepped really well with hot water and especially on my neck. I also warned him not to shave my neck against the hair growth,. He didn't listen and I was a bleeder. That was the last time I used a straight razor lol. 
I don't think too many barbers know how to properly shave with a straight razor. It's become a lost art outside of us enthusiasts who enjoy it. You do have to be careful though as these things are so sharp it's scary. I cut my finger good last weekend putting electrical tape on the spine of a razor before honing it. They cut so fast you hardly feel it. One good thing though is that the cut is so smooth and straight that it heals quicker.

AaronB said:
You find an old barber who's used nothing but for 60 years on customers day in and day out and it'll be the best shave of your life. Guaranteed.
I had a veteran barber in his 60's give me a shave when I was in my 20's. But I'm the exception to the rule and agree with you.

I had a veteran barber in his 60's give me a shave when I was in my 20's. But I'm the exception to the rule and agree with you.

That's frustrating!

SavinaRed said:
Indeed it was and the idea of a nice shaving experience at a barber shop would be a treat except for my overly sensitive skin lol.
I still say someone could shave you as there are a huge selection of soaps and pre-shave lotions, etc. A straight razor shave is the least irritating of all forms of shaving. Maybe your barber was pushing too hard? You should just be scooping the shave cream off your face with very little pressure. I bet his razor wasn't sharpened properly or he was out of practice. ;)

Proud Marine Dad said:
I still say someone could shave you as there are a huge selection of soaps and pre-shave lotions, etc. A straight razor shave is the least irritating of all forms of shaving. Maybe your barber was pushing too hard? You should just be scooping the shave cream off your face with very little pressure. I bet his razor wasn't sharpened properly or he was out of practice. ;)
You could be right.

Bought this one as well. I like razors with a barber's notch in the toe of the blade.

I have two more on the way for a total of 22 razors and counting. ;)

Back