• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first grow! Padrons, Ghosts, Scorpions! (Pictures)

Hi from Melbourne, Australia!

Long time lurker here, finally got around to purchasing some seed. 

This is my first time raising anything from seed, and although the plants are still young I'm quite happy with the results.

I picked up some Padron Pepper seed from a street vendor in Barcelona earlier this year.
These make excellent tapas - flash fried in hot oil and sprinkled with rock salt.
The fruit is picked young and has an interesting characteristic; 10-20% of the fruit will be hot to taste, with the remaining yield being mild at best.

Padron Peppers:
gOmc04P.jpg

5BfmSdo.jpg

V0BIBPy.jpg

I recently purchased some hotter varieties from an online vendor.

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T:
4LqvIIA.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Ultra Whites:
w98YfcJ.jpg

H5MVJMA.jpg

Time to top off those Padron Peppers? What are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading, watch this space for updates!

Carlo

Plants look good to me. I wouldn't top them, i'd prune the bottom leaves.
Someone who actually knows something will come along and answer thou... dont you worry  ;)

Looking good for your first grow.
There is a sticky thread about topping/pruining, if you havent read it, do it's a good help :)

Can't get past how nice your plants look. Mine aren't so nice. What's your average temps there? And what's your set up?

bucdout57 said:
Can't get past how nice your plants look. Mine aren't so nice. What's your average temps there? And what's your set up?

Average temperatures here in Melbourne are around 25 degrees Celsius over the summer period:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_086071_All.shtml

We have some extremely hot days (40+) and some not so hot days (~14) during summer.

Seeds were sprouted mid October using a cheap indoor greenhouse, jiffy pellets, a heat mat and a halogen light. 
Once the first set of true leaves formed they were moved to small plastic pots.

The plants were initially moved outside facing east to catch the warm morning sun but were sheltered during the afternoon so not to burn.
Once the leaves began to mature and harden I positioned the plants at the front of the house which faces north. This gives them a good dose of hot afternoon sun.

I use Osmocote Premium potting mix for the adolescent/adult plants and Osmocote Seedling Mix for the seedlings.

I water the plants every hot day (>25 degrees) and/or when the soil looks dry (generally every 3-4 days).

I feed the plants diluted tomato feed (PowerFeed) once a fortnight and lightly mist the foliage with Seasol.

That's my setup pretty much!

Good info thanks. Problem with me is I always get inpatient. My seedlings were in doors and took outside. And now looking somewhat deficient. Not sure why. Blaming it on the sun. The are in my greenhouse on the side of my house. Not direct sunlight but blame it on the weather. Rained a couple of days this week and pretty chilly at night. 50 (f) or a little above that. Plan on moving them into the garage tonight. Thanks for the info.

One thing I learnt early on is that light and heat are the most important ingredient.
My plants had stunted growth (3 weeks of nothing) due to lack of sunlight early in their life.

Once I moved them outside rapid growth began! 

Here's an update, just gave them some feeder and a good drink:
crsik7l.jpg

The ghosts and scorpion are beginning to put on some size.

Haven't topped any of the padrons yet, mainly because I'm too scared to cut in the wrong place.
Flowers are beginning to form at the top of the new growth in the middle of the plant!

Any suggestions on where to make the cut?

Back