• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Beer Bucket Fermentation Weights

I've been slowly scaling up the fermentation the past few years and have recently reached 6.5 Gallon beer bucket scale. I use a 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket and have had good results thus far. Just wondering if anyone has found decent fermentation weights for that sized container. The diameter is approximately 12 inches.

I've been using a bit of "Appalachian Engineering" thus far. To top the mash, I use a layer of cheese cloth followed by an inverted (slightly less than) 12" dinner plate with a 1 gallon bag of water on top to hold it in place. It works well, but it's a bit of a pain. And it is definitely "less than ideal".  Anyone else have a good solution for this scale that you'd care to share? It seems the stone fermentation weights, which I would really prefer, max out at around 8 inches.

Hey Paulman Acre!  Welcome to THP.  Another user posted a possible solution - frog mats.  First I saw of them he'd cut them in circles to fit his fermentation vessels and put weights on top - I'm thinking you could find one, cut to size and then use the existing 8" weight that you already prefer.  They are food safe - might work for ya :)

Back