• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anyone else growing Avocado plants?

like the title says anyone growing one of these delicious green gold making magic sticks haha grew mine out of a pit, almost been a year since its sprouted 

if you want that to actually produce fruit you're going to need to graft it with a tree that already produces fruit. Since you're in cali I'm assuming the haas variety is what you sprouted?

Daedra said:
like the title says anyone growing one of these delicious green gold making magic sticks haha grew mine out of a pit, almost been a year since its sprouted

I've got the same thing going! Mine is about 18 inches tall.

BigB said:
if you want that to actually produce fruit you're going to need to graft it with a tree that already produces fruit. Since you're in cali I'm assuming the haas variety is what you sprouted?
How do you go about grafting it?

BigB said:
well i started growing in Connecticut but yes haas was the one that grew the p.rican variety did not sprout, waiting a bit longer maybe this next summer to graft it

schrade82 said:

How do you go about grafting it?
you get a piece of a three that is producing good fruit and add that piece to your plant so you get it to grow like other productive avocados dont think id be very plausible for non grafted ones to produce fruit and if they did it would not taste as good as the one you originally ate

i'd start off by watching a youtube video and buying grafting tape. You take a clean razorblade and put some rubbing alcohol on it, cut a snippet off of a healthy looking branch of an avocado that you know produces fruit. Then, you make the same angle cut  on the stem of your sprouted avocado, put the cutting on there and wrap it up with grafting tape. once it heals, kill off the other side (other genetics) of the original tree and then you have a clone of the fruiting tree that you took the original snippet from

BigB said:
i'd start off by watching a youtube video and buying grafting tape. You take a clean razorblade and put some rubbing alcohol on it, cut a snippet off of a healthy looking branch of an avocado that you know produces fruit. Then, you make the same angle cut  on the stem of your sprouted avocado, put the cutting on there and wrap it up with grafting tape. once it heals, kill off the other side (other genetics) of the original tree and then you have a clone of the fruiting tree that you took the original snippet from
yep, aside from tape ive seen a glue like substance at a relatives house that he uses for grafting peach/pluots/apricot/nectaries 

Back