• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilinoob two oh one five

Starting early this year, got my first round of seeds sown on Nov 22nd, planning on sowing the second round in Jan.

Sowed 24 varieties, one 8oz cup per variety, two seeds per cup. Round two will be another 24 varieties.

Didn't get my first hook until day 10 and was starting to think I'd done something wrong, but by day 19 I had 47/48 seeds come up (a few were helmet heads and were pulled). I will thin them to one per cup over the weekend. All seeds seems to be doing OK, apart from the 7-pot yellow, which is runty and slightly yellow. In hindsight, I think the slow initial germ time was because the soil was a little on the dry side for the first week.

16006964312_cfa42c864e_o_d.jpg

My seed starting mix was 4 parts MG potting soil, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part perlite. Seeds were placed on top of the mix (no soaking) and covered with a layer of vermiculite. Temps were cycled between ~70F at night and ~90F during the day. I was really surprised by the germination rate, since the majority of the seeds were from 2013 or even earlier. Seeds are under a 4x2' T5HO light, about 4" from the top of the cups.

16007523722_c7521bd9ec_b_d.jpg

I'm also overwintering a few plants: douglah, fatalii, habanero lemon, habanero mustard, habanero white (mustard-orange pheno F1) and a "Burpee burning bush". I didn't do anything with the plants when I brought them in and an aphid explosion occurred about two weeks later (despite me not having a problem with aphids all season...). I stripped all the leaves and sprayed every few days with pyrethrin. I just about have them under control, but still find the odd one or two every few days. New growth has started appearing again. Also had a few fungus gnats flying around, but seem to keeping them under control by keeping the soil fairly dry, using mosquito dunks in the water and have fly paper hanging near the plants. Plants are under two 2x4' T8 fixtures, along with a ghetto LED light.

15388595583_ee288ee79e_b_d.jpg

Good work.  Good luck with the aphids, too.  Glad you're having success with the MG potting soil.  Quite a few people have bad luck with that product.  It's the grower, not the soil, I guess!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

I know there's not a lot of love for MG, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway so I can judge for myself. When the plants get potted up to larger containers next month I'll be switching to a homemade mix.

So I thinned most of the seedlings to one per cup, I left two varieties for now as there they are still pretty small and there was no clear front-runner. I then topped up the cups with perlite to try to further discourage the fungus gnats. I now have a fan blowing on the seedlings to try to thicken the stems.

15403611073_b29b63bac0_b_d.jpg

I found a bunch more aphids on the overwinters today, not sure how to deal with them as the pyrethrin is damaging the new growth...

I had a horrible problem with aphids last spring.  Ultimately my solution was to buy ladybugs and trap them inwith my plants for 4 days.  It worked like a charm.

I'm still picking off a few aphids every day, hoping I can get them under control soon. If not, I will likely give ladybugs a shot (shhh, don't tell my wife).

I lost the Moruga Yellow today, it shrivelled up and died - I'm guessing damp-off. I've never lost a single seed to damp off in past grows, I can only assume it's from the MG. I have sown another couple of seeds and am trying again.

Just a quick update.

I'm still picking off a few aphids daily, but they are doing less damage to the overwinters than the pyrethrin was. It took me until January last year to completely eliminate them, hopefully I can do the same this year. At least they haven't spread to my new seedlings yet.

Group shot of the new seedlings. Some of them are growing like crazy, some are growing slowly, but all are putting out a good root system.

15896780960_88b9eb1ab4_b_d.jpg

Roots:
16082149501_5bbe7c4779_b_d.jpg

I think I may have been too quick to blame the MG for the death of the Moruga Yellow, now that I think about it I think I may have just given it too much fan too soon and "dehydrated" it. Still waiting for the second sowing of the Moruga Yellow to pop.

I just want to do a quick shout out to a couple of people - first thanks to Charlesquick for the 7-pot Yellow, Chocolate and Yellow Jonah x Brain, you can see these all made round one - looking forward to trying these.

Second, thanks to AaronB for the seeds below, looking forward to sowing these in round two:
16083464602_f34c6c7997_b_d.jpg

Very interesting with the clear cups.  You're breaking relatively new ground here with that.  I wanted to do that, but chickened out when others said it was a bad idea to expose the roots to light.  Prove them wrong!

Update time.

Still fighting the aphids. Picking off the aphids daily is reducing the numbers but is not stopping them, so I'm giving insecticidal soap a shot. It seems to be less harmful to the new growth compared to pyrethrin.

Picked up an LED fixture from eBay and will be using this on the seedlings for the remainder of my grow, instead of the T5s.

16176133736_62c1096ac3_b_d.jpg

Some of the seedlings are doing great, others are yellowing which I suspect is from overwatering - I'm trying to correct this...

16200113101_c4201604df_b_d.jpg

16201167322_6039037855_b_d.jpg

I picked up some more seeds last week and sowed round 2 yesterday, using the same method as round 1 but using a 5:1:1 ratio of MG potting soil:perlite:vermiculite instead of 4:1:1.

16201176002_ac7f22b8b1_b_d.jpg

Here is my full list of peppers, the round 2 additions are shown in red.

16219207875_77abe58e68_o_d.jpg

ChiliNoob said:
I like to experiment :-)

According to one experiment, even white containers are a bad idea:
http://www.ballpublishing.com/PerennialPulse/ArticleComments.aspx?aid=2670

They will only be in the clear cups for a short while before I upsize to something 2-3 times as large.

Thanks for sharing this link it was a really interesting read. I was thinking white pots might be better but obviously not.
Your clear pots is something else I'd thought of trying on a couple of plants just to watch them grow. It looks cool, like an orchid plant.
Your plants are looking good.
Good luck with your aphid problem, I had a bonchi plant covered with them so I pulled every single leaf off and washed it! Problem solved. Probably not the right solution for your seedlings though :)

Luckily the aphids are (for the most part) staying off the seedlings.  I went away for a few days last week and when I returned there had been a mini-explosion and I found aphids on four of the seedlings, but other than that I'm still just seeing a few each day on the over-wintered plants.

Quick update.

First the overwinters - still pickings off aphids, though not so many these days. The insecticidal soap seems to be working, however it is also starting to damage the new growth, so I'll back off for a while.

Plants from round one seem to be growing very slowly. The yellowed leaves on some of the plants from overwatering early on have dropped off and the new growth is looking healthier, however the plants seems to be putting their energy into regrowing the roots that were waterlogged. The pots are now loaded with healthy looking roots. I guess the slow down in growth could also be attributed to the switch from T5 to LED?

16257240381_14af340612_b_d.jpg

Six of the 24 varieties from round two have popped, they started popping on day five. One of the white bhuts appears to be an albino, from what I understand this won't survive for very long.

15639114803_3212f1336e_b_d.jpg

If you want to get rid of the aphids Fox Farm puts out an insecticidal spray called "Don't Bug Me".  Shit works like you wouldn't believe.  Other than that you got yourself a grow goin!

Back