• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper Powders...How do you store/apply them?

Besides adding pepper powder to a pot of soup/stew by spoon, for example, do you keep your powders in some sort of shaker, and apply them to food that way?  Do you just keep them in their plastic bags, and sprinkle them with a fork or spoon?  I'm thinking maybe some sort of shaker would be good as long as the powder never gets damp.  What do you got? 

I just buy a cheap plastic shaker bottle of 99 cent chile powder and dump it out, wash shaker and fill with good powder. I've heard of some putting one of those little silica anti moisture packs inside of their shaker but I've never had to do that myself.

After dehydrating my pods I simply put them into ziplocs and keep them in a cool place. I only powder them as needed. Having dried pods (either split open or split in half before dehydrating) allows me to use them in various manners. For example, drop a few into your favorite bottled liquid and let them sit a while - cool (hot) infused rum tequila, oil, vinegar, etc. I can also rehydrate and use the rehydrated pods in cooking, such as super-spicy cookies, stews, etc. The possibilities are endless. But yes, when I powder them (I only powder small amounts at a time) I put the powder into some kind of shaker for ease of use.

I like glass. So I try to store powder in small glass vials or jars. As far as applying them, that all depends on how hot the powder is and how steady your hand.

photo.jpg

if it's a big batch I'll use a Mason jar, but if it's small batches I'll just keep them in dime baggies like the seeds, double sealed in another larger sealable bag.  Powders normally don't last me long because I either use them or the guys at work buy them.

for a looong time, I used re-purposed spice bottles with the shaker tops for all types of dried chiles and powders for our home grown peppers and only for home use. The bottle could of originally had garlic, herbs of all sorts, minced dried onion....I'd wash and dry the bottle and shaker top and fill it with "whatever" dried chile happened to be On Deck.  I also keep dried chile powders in cleaned deli containers.  Simple 8 oz or 16 oz plastic tubs.

I have a stack of tubs in the kitchen containing everything from generic chili powder to cumin to seasoned jalapeno salt to an Italian herb blend to Yellow Pepper Blend to Red Pepper Blend (both made from chiles we grew a couple years ago and dried/powdered and still have a 'stash' in the kitchen....

Use what you have for chile storage.  Glass is best, plastic works WONDERFULLY and is not to be discounted. 

I use mason jars for large amounts. Take out what I need to mix with garlic salt and other ingredients and put in a shaker for all around use. I find whatever they use in the garlic salt is enough to keep my blends from caking.
Whenever I pull from the mason jar I like to pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to heat up the powder and pull what little moisture might be in it back out. Then when I put the lid back on it will create a small vacuum as the mason jar cools.

Back