• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Asopao de Camarones

Asopao de Camarones for dinner and here is the recipe I used.
1 1/2 cups rice
4 cups water to start
1 pound shrimp
2 tbs. Sofrito
2 oz Red bell pepper chopped
2 tbs. Alcaparrado
1 packet Sazon con culantro y achiote
1/2 cup tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne powder depending on how spicy you want it

Saute the Sofrito, red bell, alcaparrado, sazon and tomato sauce together. Add the water and rice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to about medium low and cook for 10 min. Add shrimp and cook until the rice is soft and cooked. Keep adding 1/2 cups of water if drying out because this is suppose to be somewhat soupy.
66461a6b-895d-4b34-b2e2-ae5a5bf081a4_zps828f6ba7.jpg

62819a11-7c3b-4b8a-95bc-30ef7ab44fc1_zps2f8fde49.jpg

Sounds quite tasty!

If you want to kick the flavor up a few notches, skip the Sazon package and mix your own spices. I do use Sazon, but only when I'm in a pinch for time.

geeme said:
Sounds quite tasty!

If you want to kick the flavor up a few notches, skip the Sazon package and mix your own spices. I do use Sazon, but only when I'm in a pinch for time.

I think the Sazon is more for the color than anything but I did make the Sofrito.

grantmichaels said:
Oh yes ... so much awesome food today ... that looks great ...

Nice tile too btw, lol ... I like the upside down receptacle =)
My house was built in the 30's and there are things that make you say "why" everywhere.

It's character ...

Been doing the cad/cam work to program machines to cut counter-tops for a decade, so anything awry in the kitchen grabs my eye ...

Imagine the frustration I am a renter in a house that has laminate tops =( ... I have stone everywhere throughout the house (3x computer stations, night tables, etc ... but not in the damn kitchen) ...

Man that look delicious! Certainly my kinda grub....

whats in your sofrito??.... its a term ive heard often, but dont entirely understand what it is...

Tinnie said:
Man that look delicious! Certainly my kinda grub....

whats in your sofrito??.... its a term ive heard often, but dont entirely understand what it is...
Sofrito is a puree of culantro, cilantro, sweet peppers, garlic, salt, pepper etc... There is a lot of recipes out there you can find easily.

Back