• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot Peanut Brittle Perfection

I actually made this last week, but just now getting around to posting about it. It was my forth attempt at hot brittle and it came about perfect. The base recipe is one I found at All Recipes

Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt (unless peanuts are already salted)
1/4 cup water
1 cup peanuts (recipe calls for raw, but I just dry roasted)
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Reaper puree (Made using Alabama Jack's recipe)
2 dehydrated Peach Bhut Jolokia
The peppers can be substituted with whatever you want. This worked great though. The color blended well too.

All Recipes called for softened butter, but I melted mine, and mixed in the Reaper puree. Also, I powdered the dried Bhuts and mixed with the baking soda.

It's important to have everything measured out and within reach before starting.

Mix the corn syrup, sugar and water, bring to a boil. Add in peanuts and set candy thermometer in place. Heat it to 300 degrees F. I kept the burner on medium the whole time. At first it doesn't seem like it will get to 300, just be patient. If you turn the heat up higher it's likely to scorch. Also, I stirred the whole time it was being heated. 

At 300 degrees, take off the heat and immediately add in the butter/puree and baking soda/bhut powder. Stir really well, then quickly pour out onto your cookie sheet/baking pan. Once it's poured, spread it out with forks or something similar. The recipe calls for spraying the sheet with oil to keep from sticking. Instead, I just used parchment paper. Worked great and kept brittle from being greasy.

This brittle is very deceptive looking. It looks and mostly tastes like regular brittle, but packs a good amount of heat. It's not overbearing though. There is a slight hint of the Reaper flavor up front. 

Here are some pics.

Prepared final ingredients, butter/puree and bhut baking soda.
QB85QLyl.jpg

The Reaper Puree, only 1 tsp though.
oIUXrDdl.jpg

Two of these dried Peach Bhuts. The fresh pods came from Pepperlover.
3YoeSMTl.jpg

Heating up the mix.
secrbU5l.jpg

After breaking it up.
xhZWFvel.jpg

Bagged.
6OfpMAxl.jpg

I ended up vacuum sealing 1 and 2 oz packs of this. 

The first two times I attempted making hot brittle, I used finely processed fresh Reaper. The third time I only used a mix of super hot powders at the very end. This recipe was by far the best of the four. 

I'd think the fresh reapers would have an amount of moisture in them that would mess with the candy recipe.  By using the dry chiles, there's no extra moisture.  Looks really good!  Thanks for sharing your detailed recipe. 

oldsalty said:
Have some dried Moruga will definitely be trying this out!!! Looks Fantastic!!!!!!! :)

I bet the Moruga will be awesome in it! I love mixing really sweet with really hot.
salsalady said:
I'd think the fresh reapers would have an amount of moisture in them that would mess with the candy recipe.  By using the dry chiles, there's no extra moisture.  Looks really good!  Thanks for sharing your detailed recipe. 
I think adding them at the end too, helps with not getting choked out with the fumes  :). That was one problem I ran into with the fresh reapers. I put them in when I added the peanuts. Fortunately no one else was home at the time. The dog and I sat out on the porch for half an hour waiting for it to clear out.

Back