Smoking Wood Online

Nah, postage cost versus volume is just not worth it. Offcourse not everyone has Jamaican trees in his garden, but you can source a lot of woods locally. Online they tend to sell 1-4 lb bags at crazy rates. I figure it might be worth it to try it out, but that's about it. Furniture makers tend to be able to get all the exotic (untreated) flavors.. dried and in shaved sticks/logs. And usually not even that expensive compared to online + shipping. Just ring them up, they're often willing to help out.

I didn't look at all the links so this may be a silly question but you ever use reclaimed wine barrel oak?
I worked as a cabinet maker for a few years and got to try quite a few different kinds of wood, cherry, walnut, etc. but still nothing beat locally cut white oak. It makes a smooth creamy smoke flavor IMO.

I haven't explored much yet, save from bags of Weber and Western wood that I've ordered online these past couple of months ...

There aren't a lot of good smoking woods growing around here, in all likelihood, but I might find otherwise when I try harder looking ... that is usually the case!

So far, I've liked oak and pecan best ... and I liked the apple just fine for the pork butt, but not as much for a brisket ...

grantmichaels said:
I haven't explored much yet, save from bags of Weber and Western wood that I've ordered online these past couple of months ...

There aren't a lot of good smoking woods growing around here, in all likelihood, but I might find otherwise when I try harder looking ... that is usually the case!

So far, I've liked oak and pecan best ... and I liked the apple just fine for the pork butt, but not as much for a brisket ...
People I know like locally grown citrus wood.

Depends on what wood you want! Like, peach, you can order from Georgia. So what are you looking for?

The Hot Pepper said:
Okay. Then Fruita is the place. http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/
Free shipping too.

Not true.
Hmm, read through some US sites. Shipping seems to be a lot cheaper in the US. Here the minimum is about 7 euro (= 9 bucks). Free shipping only applies to orders over a certain amount, often at about 50 to 75 euro.

Smoke wood is also much cheaper (like 50-65%) cheaper than here. So I figure the cost part doesn't apply to the US.

The Hot Pepper said:
Free shipping too.

Not true.

The Hot Pepper said:
Free shipping too.

Not true.
I checked out their site and found this curious quote.  Perhaps someone here can break it down for me...I don't get it.

"We suggest using a ratio of 80% Fruit Wood and 20% Hickory to achieve true flavor from the fruit wood."

They are just suggesting hickory added to the smoke and not an entire fruit wood smoke, for real BBQ flavor, as most Americans associate BBQ with the hickory flavor. I'm sure it also helps sell some extra wood. ;)

It's for newbies. Most people know what wood they like, or like to experiment. 

It is worded funny as the hickory does not do anything to the other wood, but to the meat. So yeah. I tend to agree though. I don't like straigh hickory. But I love an apple smoke with hickory chunks added in. The ratio seems legit.

Back