• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CO2 Brew

OK.
Have a carboy fermenting-------mmmm---beer.
To keep it warm, I put it in my grow tent, figuring the lights would keep it warm, and the extra co2 off-gassing would be good for the peppers.

Surprise, surprise.

Flowers everywhere and pods setting in just a couple days.

To be honest, flowers were popping before, but not vigoriously, and few pods setting.

Any other beer/wine makers done this?

Note my grow tent is sealed up for the ferment, as I am trying to keep the temps between 80/100---so a lot of CO2 is being delivered, and as it is heavier than air, likely being delivered right to the roots via my air pump near the floor. (Hydro setup).

Also note, the pepper plants in there are 10 months old, and in the range supers tend to flower.

Ah, very cool, I love free nutrients :D I sleep in a room full of plants and run their cycles opposite to my slumbering.

Not entirely sure if CO2 is taken up by roots? (Checked it out, seems they can absorb CO2 or at least benefit from increased levels in root zone). It will mix evenly with the air quite quickly though, and give a good boost to photosynthesis (to a point).

Curious, did it effect pH at all?

OI was gonna say, those temperatures would likely produce some off flavours in the beer. The CO2 would definitely benefit the peppers, I am not sure that a single carboy would produce enough C02 to make any noticeable difference to the plants though.

Since beer typically drops to the proper gravity within a couple of weeks, it might be more beneficial to make a wine, or something that will ferment and off  gas for quite a bit longer, maybe 3 or 4 carboys in the room?  

beer----well, not exactly.

Trying to be discrete. ;)

Turbo needs 80/100 for a proper ferment.

18% in 7 days.

I am not sure that a single carboy would produce enough C02 to make any noticeable difference to the plants though.

Blowing out the airlock like a leaky tire the first 2 days.
In a 4x4 sealed room. (Grow tent).

I've tried turbo in making a wine. Fast results but the taste is more suited for a harder drink. Mine looked like an aquarium from all the CO2 rising.

LOL, I don't brew beer in my indoor labs but I am running CO2 injection and can attest that it works really well in certain condtions.  Mine is set and controlled to 1500 PPM before they flower and 1000 PPM after they start flowering.  The system only runs when the lights are on.

Good luck guys

Back